How many times have you dialled 999?

Permabanned
Apparently as a baby/toddler I once found the phone and kept pressing the number 9. This went on long enough for a policeman to come around the house to try to talk sense into the child wasting the time of the emergency services.
Sorry to bust your bubble, this is a atypical story designed to make your childhood sound more interesting. Sorry :o

Associate
Twice.

Once when 50+ Hibs casuals turned up at the bar I was managing having been beaten 2-0 and began to tear the place apart when they were refused.

Once when someone threw a petrol bomb through the front door of the bar I was managing at the time. Again linked to Hibs football casuals.

I have dealt with the police more times than I care to remember but normally contacted them using the special radio network set up for the bars/clubs in the centre of edinburgh rather than dialing 999. Usually quicker that way.

/Salsa

Associate
I've done it twice

Once when the clamper who looks after our car park ran me over in his car

secondly on the way back from Hackney Weekend a car overtook me and then spun into the central reservation. I had to pull over and get the ambulance there asap cos the car was a messed.

Soldato
Once for a suspected terrorist on a 521 bus from London Bridge to Waterloo, I got off early at St Pauls and called.

Was only a few weeks after the 7/7 bombings and a muslim nutter was on the back of the bus with a large ruck sack muttering to himself and now and then shouting at other passengers saying "you don't know what I got in my bag! You'll find out soon..." following by more insane gibbering.

A bus load of commuters ****ing themselves.

Permabanned
Three. Ambulance all 3 times.

Once when I'd just started driving buses and knocked an elderly lady over who decided it was a good idea to signal for the bus with her head. She was ok though.

Then a few years later a young girl got off my bus, ran across the road in front of it right into the path of a car coming past me. She only broke a few bones but was very lucky as the impact was well above 20mph.

More recently, and sadly, I found an elderly gentleman who had collapsed while waiting for my bus. He wasn't breathing, had no pulse but was still warm when I found him so I started CPR while on the phone to the dispatch person. Paramedics were there within 5 minutes and between us we worked on him for 15 minutes but he didn't respond :(

Turned out he'd had a massive heart attack.

Last edited:
Soldato
Twice.

Once when 50+ Hibs casuals turned up at the bar I was managing having been beaten 2-0 and began to tear the place apart when they were refused.

Once when someone threw a petrol bomb through the front door of the bar I was managing at the time. Again linked to Hibs football casuals.

I have dealt with the police more times than I care to remember but normally contacted them using the special radio network set up for the bars/clubs in the centre of edinburgh rather than dialing 999. Usually quicker that way.

/Salsa

What is a hib casual?

Soldato
Never. There is one time I should have called the Police but I was too busy trying to split the girls up who were fighting. It didn't even cross my mind at the time.

Soldato
Lots, when I get asked to pop to a house on the island to check on someone (as a first aider) and realise it's much more serious.

Fairly recently, I was asked to go and check someone's mum as she wasn't feeling well (I'm a community responder but this was a friend asking). I turned up, and she was having a serious stroke. I called 999 and got a medivac within 25 mins

Caporegime
Loads as a kid, we never had a football and fire engines were cool.

and the real answer,

Once, a woman was in a RTA at the end of my road and i had just left the house so turned around and called straight away.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
3 times, the first time was when i was walking back from Rock-City on a bitterly cold, icy, new years eve, i found some drunk guy, passed out in a pool of frozen vomit, slowly turning blue.
The second time was when the guy in the bedsit next to mine had a bad reaction to his medication, & the third time was when my mum died.

Soldato
quite a few times tbh.

mostly for debris sitting on the M8 funnily enough the last one was yesterday morning for a dead dog in lane 3 :(
make a point of calling in anything that could cause an accident on the basis of what if it was my wife driving down the road

other than that a few incidents I've spotted and once when my dad passed away

Back
Top Bottom