Wiping all data - Ubuntu Linux 12.04

Associate
So I am selling my netbook with Ubuntu 12.04 and am facing the daunting task of removing all personal data. I have never done this before on Linux, so am a bit concerned I will overlook something.

Aside from manually deleting files, downloads, and personal folders, as well as removing personal programs, changing email settings and removing wifi passwords, is there any other method or program I should be aware of to assist me. Possibly even to simplify the process?

I want to leave the OS along with LibreOffice, Thunderbird and the current GNOME set up as is. Everything else I'd like removed. Is that even possible?

Thanks

Associate
I'm curious, why do you not want to format the drive?

Anyway deleting the user will remove most user settings. You can also use the sync programs option in the Ubuntu software centre, compared to a fresh install, to ensure you've removed all the personal programs you've installed.

Personally though I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a laptop without a format.

Associate
OP
I'm curious, why do you not want to format the drive?

Anyway deleting the user will remove most user settings. You can also use the sync programs option in the Ubuntu software centre, compared to a fresh install, to ensure you've removed all the personal programs you've installed.

Personally though I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a laptop without a format.

While I am of the same opinion, it's for a quick sale to get emergency funds. The buyer wants to check everything is working properly, and has requested some form of OS be installed in order to do so.

In any case I seem to have removed all independent software through the Software Centre, and all personal files have been removed. Thunderbird is gone, as are other sign-in programs (ie Skype) so all user settings should now be gone. Wasn't able to delete the user as you said, but unless it's a crucial point at this stage I think I am safe.

Associate
While I am of the same opinion, it's for a quick sale to get emergency funds. The buyer wants to check everything is working properly, and has requested some form of OS be installed in order to do so.

In any case I seem to have removed all independent software through the Software Centre, and all personal files have been removed. Thunderbird is gone, as are other sign-in programs (ie Skype) so all user settings should now be gone. Wasn't able to delete the user as you said, but unless it's a crucial point at this stage I think I am safe.

Well a bog standard format + fresh install of ubuntu wouldn't take long at all, just to play it safe :). Assuming you haven't got military level secrets or your bank details in an unencrypted text file that should be enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom