3G dongle on linux?

Associate
its been a while but on my old linux mint 10 laptop i plugged my phone in via USB and clicked 'share network' on my phone it worked fine, used it when we had a power cut.

im sure it will work on 'buntu or mint 13 et..

Soldato
The huawei type will work, just plug it in and then you'll need to configure your network details. I had trouble with the other type, and for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Man of Honour
Back when I used an early 3G dongle from three with ubuntu there was a lot of messing about, I either had to launch a script everytime I wished to use it it modify the Dongle on a windows PC to disable the virtual cd drive it initially identified it self as.

Associate
Installed mint 13 on my dell laptop the other day, it has built in 3G and that worked straight away.

Very impressed to be honest. Aren't kubuntu/ mint both forks of ubuntu?

E-I

Soldato
Using a Huawei one on Debian.

Didn't have to configure anything as the ISP was already in the database.

Only problem is that whenever I disconnect or it disconnects on its own, either the 'Enable Mobile Broadband' menu entry disappears or the entire Network Manager applet disappears from the taskbar. :mad: :rolleyes: :p

Don't know if Ubuntu has this problem as I haven't used a dongle on that distro for long enough.

My current "solution" is to unplug the dongle and reinsert it. :p

I really should find out how to get the applet to reappear and redetect the dongle.

Back
Top Bottom