Tyres for my Z750 '09

Izi

Izi

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Need to get some new tyres for my Z750. Any suggestions? I have no idea what to look for!

I don't to much milage but I do travel in all weather - cold / wet / hot.

Cheers
Iz

Soldato
Had 2 rears and a front BT023, wasn't staggeringly impressed, they did grip fine but overall life was a bit poor.

Now done ~2400 miles on a set of PR3's, they grip fine again but they seem more confidence inspiring for some reason, I push them more in all conditions than I did the BT023's, life seems fine so far but hard to tell (BT023's lasted ~4-4.5k miles on the rear of my striple)

Soldato
hated bridgestones.. never run out of grip bit inspired no confidence... had 2 sets of pr2's and love them .. last ages warm quickly and stick like s*** to a blanket .. Will try pr3 on my next change

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Now done ~2400 miles on a set of PR3's, they grip fine again but they seem more confidence inspiring for some reason, I push them more in all conditions than I did the BT023's, life seems fine so far but hard to tell (BT023's lasted ~4-4.5k miles on the rear of my striple)

+1 for PR3's, switched to them awhile back & i have a lot more confidence in them than i do in any set of BT's ive ever used, wear seems to be mariginally better for the michelins, that being said i don't exactly shred my tires any way.

Associate
I've had some PR3's fitted last Friday and rode home in the wet, did 14miles on them went out Sunday and was happily getting my knee down. I had BT021's fitted before and didn't like them, they were okay to begin with but the front wore really unevenly and felt like it wanted to wash out all the time and the rear would spin up a lot in the wet and nearly threw me arse over head once. Would recommend the PR3's so far, feel really good in the wet and give plenty of confidence in the dry!

Soldato
I had BT021's fitted before and didn't like them, they were okay to begin with but the front wore really unevenly

Snap, this is what my BT021 looked like on my Mille a few months back. Looks like I've been roundabout surfing since the right hand part of the tread has worn flat but the left hand is still rounded. Thing is I don't do that and my commute (which put 95% of the miles on the bike) doesn't have any lengthy right hand sweepers or fast roundabouts.

knackered.jpg

Soldato
My front BT023 was similar after the ~8.3k miles total, I just put it down to general wear from camber though? Either way took a long time to become noticeable/change the feel for me, most of the second rear tyre so I wasn't too bothered...

Associate
Snap, this is what my BT021 looked like on my Mille a few months back. Looks like I've been roundabout surfing since the right hand part of the tread has worn flat but the left hand is still rounded. Thing is I don't do that and my commute (which put 95% of the miles on the bike) doesn't have any lengthy right hand sweepers or fast roundabouts.

Funnily enough the left side of mine wore out and went past the limit yet the centre and right side were fine and considering I do 28 miles each day of mostly straight road it was weird not to mention I would go have some fun with a friend on roundabouts at the weekend. The worst part was that the front didn't last as long as the rear. The 014's I had when I got the bike were much better but just didn't last long enough when used for riding to work each day. I'd done maybe 4k/5k miles on them in total :(

Also south Devon by any chance? :p

Soldato
Had two sets of bridge stones on a cbr1000 I owned rubbish in the wet and bad mileage followed a friend home when it was ****ing down and his back end looked like a boat dispersing the water he had Metzelers fitted so switched to Metzeler great in the wet and good in the dry have a set on the zzr also.

Associate
Another Zed owner :)

I have Metzler M5s on my Z750 and find them great but I try and avoid riding in the wet.

It's more of a sports tyre so milage was about 3000 from the last rear I had.

Associate
I have to agree I've had the Bt021's and was not impressed at all, since then moved to Michelin Pilot Road 2's and love them, but I won't be one chasing the Pilot Road 3's as I'm ok with the 2's and they're cheaper :)

Associate
Put Avon Storm 2 Ultra's on my 650 Bandit last Friday, only done 160miles and already they have more grip then the BT020 rear and BT011 front. Nice confidence inspiring and will only get better once fully scrubbed in:D

PS they were £224 fitted, pricey but you may get them cheaper. Done at Churchills in Pottersbury along the A5.

Associate
Yes, live in Plymouth and work in Paignton. I fitted a pair of Avon 3D Ultra Sports to the Mille last week, prior to a trip to the BSB at Brands. No complaints at all so far, and they are made in England so doing a bit for the economy :D

I live in Newton Abbot and work in Brixham, close! :p

Guys, where did you get your PR3s from?

I got mine from a garage near where I work, could take the wheels out myself but it's convenient dropping it there in the morning and picking it up on the way home.

but I won't be one chasing the Pilot Road 3's as I'm ok with the 2's and they're cheaper :)

Since I ride to work everyday come rain or shine I decided to give the 3's a try for the sake of £20 and they do work well in the wet it has to be said. Oh and the tread pattern looks really cool :p

Back
Top Bottom