Living room totally wrecked...my rights?

Soldato
Agreed, we had to move a sewer inspection cover just for a garage extension.

Andi.

Same with a job Dad did for a neighbor, only the building regs council people wanted it about 3 foot away from any wall which was a right ballache! Could have had it in a nice graveled bit in the (new) exterior corner of the house, but now the owner has to have an ugly inspection manhole cover in his lawn.

Soldato
Same with a job Dad did for a neighbor, only the building regs council people wanted it about 3 foot away from any wall which was a right ballache! Could have had it in a nice graveled bit in the (new) exterior corner of the house, but now the owner has to have an ugly inspection manhole cover in his lawn.

Better that than a pooey foot spa in the living room!

Associate
living room is like a summerhouse extension kinda thing.

Probably similar to a conservatory type thing, I am guessing it was originally intended for just that and has been utilized for a living space.
Conservatories are classed as temporary structures and therefore don't follow the usual BC or planning if the floor area is under 30square( I think, been out of the building game for 5 years now).
It also sounds like not even a conservatory type thing. Pictures would be good.

We would have certainly moved the drain, however as with anything if there is no obligation to do so, why spend the extra? (yes i know as respect for the new tenants etc)Comes down to personal/ financial judgement.

Soldato
edit: totally just realised you're in Scotland so I have no idea what I'm talking about, try this instead
http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/repairs_and_bad_conditions

you don't have the right to get someone in and then withhold rent - withholding rent would contribute towards grounds for eviction. Rather than GD where there are lots of people who don't know much about tenancy law have a look at shelter http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting - they also have a helpline which might help.

probably this page is specifically helpful
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_a..._private_lets/contacting_environmental_health

Last edited:
Soldato
Conservatories are classed as temporary structures and therefore don't follow the usual BC or planning if the floor area is under 30square( I think, been out of the building game for 5 years now).

Still true; Dad wanted to get advice from planning department on a conservatory, and they basically said do whatever you want.

Think it changes slightly if you want to put in a base wall though, depending on the height of it.

Associate
In regards to a sewer in the living room in terms of construction it is acceptable as long as the sewer has what is called a 'double seal' cover that should stop any effluent or smells from leaking out.

By "grate" I assume he means a manhole cover, many homes which take up the footprint of the plot or have basements will have manhole covers under the floor coverings but you probably don't even realise they are there.

As other people have said if raw sewage has leaked into habitable space (living rooms are habitable) then the entire room needs to be professionally cleaned before you reoccupy as others have said its a severe health hazard.

Associate
Dimple i dont have his address and he wouldnt pick up his phone hence i had to "txt" him

Sure i could say "TEXT" him but im sure you're not being that incredibly anal surely?

You do have the address - it should (must?) be on the SAT and it must be on the AT5. You do have an both of those, don't you? If not then you aren't on a SAT and the LL is screwed if he ever wants you out or to increase the rent (you will have an assured tenancy)

If the house doesn't meet the repairing standard (mandatory by law) then your next stop should be the private rented housing panel (PRHP). You should also speak to the council. LL sounds like a cowboy and they might have a look at his licence...

Associate
Tricky one.

If the fault is found to be down to a blocked drain for which you are found to be at fault, expect a bill from your Land Lord.

The issue of a drain cover is a bit puzzling, is it a manhole or a gulley? It's also possible that its a combined sewer and surface line.

Soldato
OP
Well they opened up the grate and shovelled out a lot of uhhh sewage MUCK and **** then chucked it all in the garden and put some kind of sawdust over it.

Smell is much much better.

drain doctors are coming tomorrow.

pics of the actual grate/slab incoming.

Soldato
OP
IMG273.jpg

hope thats dirt and not the other thing...........

IMG272.jpg

try to imagine the Golgothan crawling/seeping out from this!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
the big slab is the main drain area the other one is at the bottom of a pipe that connects to it.

the big one is the one where they were shovelling.... though i aint gonna be happy if the landlord puts down the same carpet again (yeah the one that was soaking in this!)

Back
Top Bottom