Ramadan Mubarak

Associate
People read about Islam, the deen (religion) and you will know that la illaha illalahu muhammad rasoolula is true. There is only one god but allah and Muhammad (pbuh) is his servent and messenger.

Please dont be misguided and let the media think for you, read the quran and the english transliteration it is the most beautiful and truthful book you will ever read.

Mate, I respect your beliefs, how about you respect mine? You wouldn't appreciate it if I called you misguided.

I don't let the media think for me any more than I let a book think for me. I make up my own mind.

Soldato
OP
The fast closes at 3:30am for me. And is opening today at 9:25pm give or take a few minutes. Then Tarawee prayer starts at 11pm till 1am. My sleep is really getting hit hard haha.

Soldato
How bad is it on the body?

Traffic Cops on BBC had a Muslim copper that was fasting and he was trying to chase after a criminal and he just had no energy and had to stop and was being sick, I never thought it would impact on people like that bit silly letting someone fast when there job is to chase after people.

I fast for lent but its sensible because you can still eat thing during daylight hours.

I saw this, I'm surprised they allowed him to do it tbh, what if he had to protect a member of the public? He should at least have been put on office duties.

Caporegime
You should see the Lent thread, gets trashed every year.

Its the same with any sort of religious thread on here, theres always a few that will come in and trash it to the best of their ability.

I dont know about the Lent thread as i have no real interest in what its all about so i choose to stay out of it. Just wish more people would do the same if they dont have any interest in anything religious wise.

What knives said on the first page of this thread is apt, if you havent got anything nice to say then kindly dont post...simples really.

Permabanned
Do muslims wish christians merry christmas?

I find it a bit strange seeing non muslims saying Ramadan Mubarak, but I suppose it must be a similar thing to christmas for muslims.

A muslim is not permitted to say Merry Christmas. This because saying it is as if you are condoning the celebration and you are a part of it even though in Islam it is not permitted, therefore a non muslim should not say Ramadan Mubarak.

Soldato
Just wondering: How does Ramadan work North of the arctic circle, where 24-hour daylight is experienced in summer? (e.g. Northern parts of Canada, Denmark, Finland, Russia, Sweden, Alaska etc?).

Not eating / drinking for the entire 30 days is obviously impractical, so what allowances are made?

Permabanned
Not eating / drinking for the entire 30 days is obviously impractical, so what allowances are made?

We can eat and drink for around 6 hours after iftar(breaking fast) and sehri (starting fast).

Fasting is brilliant, it frees up your mind and body and has many health benefits for skin disease, blood circulation, glucose levels are many many more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LozpNHG8k
48 Minute video just covering the benefits of fasting.

Soldato
He was asking about places that experience 24 hour sunlight. In this instance, I believe the Muslims follow the nearest or a neighbouring countries (which experiences both day and night) timetable in regards to the fast opening and closing times.

Soldato
Do muslims wish christians merry christmas?

I find it a bit strange seeing non muslims saying Ramadan Mubarak, but I suppose it must be a similar thing to christmas for muslims.
Yes. My family has wished people Merry Christmases for as long as I can remember. Plus all my friends, at school, college, etc.

Soldato
Sorry to dive in and "answer my own question" but I got curious and went to google :p

Apparently a Fatwa was issued by a Saudi Sheikh, giving a few options (link):

"We finally asked a shaykh in Saudi Arabia, and he gave us a fatwa [instruction] with three choices: Follow the timetable of Makkah, follow the timetable of the nearest city that does have a sunrise or sunset, or estimate the time and set a fixed schedule. We decided to follow Makkah for the part of Ramadan that falls under the Midnight Sun or Polar Nights, and then, for the other times, we follow our own sun."

Other websites seem to give give different answers, but all seem to involve finding some practical solution related to using nearby timezones which do have a sunrise / sunset. Which makes sense I guess :)

On a somewhat related note, I came across this site: http://boreal.ca/Koran/Ramadan.htm

Here it is suggested that, in the Koran, the Earth is flat, and the sun sets into a sea of mud:

* In the Koran, the earth is flat with the sun setting in a sea of mud, therefore a reasonably lengthy night was always to be expected (read Alexander the Great Walks a Flat Earth).

I didn't realise that the shape of the Earth was defined so literally in the Qu'ran? (...I haven't read it personally). Given that the Qu'ran is considered to be the literal interpretation of the word of Allah (correct?), does this pose issue with modern science? Or is it taken metaphorically (as so much of the Bible is where it contradicts scientific observations).

I promise that I'm not just trying to poke fun or be a smart-arse scrote here... I'm genuinely curious about such things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom