Ramadan Mubarak

Permabanned
On a somewhat related note, I came across this site: http://boreal.ca/Koran/Ramadan.htm

Here it is suggested that, in the Koran, the Earth is flat, and the sun sets into a sea of mud:

I didn't realise that the shape of the Earth was defined so literally in the Qu'ran... Given that the Qu'ran is considered to be the literal interpretation of the word of Allah (correct?), does this pose issue with modern science? Or is it taken metaphorically (as so much of the Bible is where it contradicts scientific observations).

I promise that I'm not just trying to poke fun or be a smart-arse scrote here... I'm genuinely curious about such things.

That is nonsense......it appears to be someone's interpretation rather than any accepted transliteration of the Qu'ran.

Permabanned
Sorry to dive in and "answer my own question" but I got curious and went to google :p

I didn't realise that the shape of the Earth was defined so literally in the Qu'ran? (...I haven't read it personally). Given that the Qu'ran is considered to be the literal interpretation of the word of Allah (correct?),

The Quran is the word of allah directly which was sent down to the prophet muhammad (pbuh).

Permabanned
That would be celebrating Christmas, not respecting your Christian Brethren as people of the book.

As a muslim, you shouldn't say Merry Christmas because this is a form of admitting that the celebration is correct and permitted when it is not as a muslim and a follower of Islam. A muslim would not give well wishes to something which is haram and wrong in his own religion so why would he wish them a merry christmas, it is wrong.

Permabanned
^^^ fair enough :)

Thanks.

The trouble with Islam, unlike most Christian denominations, is that they have no central clergy or doctrine and for every Imam there can be a different interpretation of Scripture and while most are quite normal, there are some which can be a bit out there......like most things I suppose.

Permabanned
We can eat and drink for around 6 hours after iftar(breaking fast) and sehri (starting fast).

Fasting is brilliant, it frees up your mind and body and has many health benefits for skin disease, blood circulation, glucose levels are many many more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LozpNHG8k
48 Minute video just covering the benefits of fasting.

Really, looking at life expectancy countries that have high mulims populations dont seem to do that better than say USA or European countries.

I give up something for lent, normally something I enjoy that is a vice, Alcohol/Sweets/Chocolate, I don't see how not drinking WATER during the day in the summer months is beneficial to your health, like I said before certain jobs you would be risking doing the job safely and correctly.

Permabanned
As a muslim, you shouldn't say Merry Christmas because this is a form of admitting that the celebration is correct and permitted when it is not as a muslim and a follower of Islam. A muslim would not give well wishes to something which is haram and wrong in his own religion so why would he wish them a merry christmas, it is wrong.

That is your interpretation, not all Muslims or Islamic thought agrees with that however.

The Qu'ran itself it is only the celebration of or the worshipping of other religions that is forbidden, it offers a tacit tolerance, if not acceptance of disbelievers own religions and so respecting their beliefs by wishing them well in their celebrations is not necessarily forbidden:

109.001 Say: O disbelievers!
109.002 I worship not that which ye worship;
109.003 Nor worship ye that which I worship.
109.004 And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
109.005 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
109.006 Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.

I understand that many Muslims believe the way you do and that is fine, however it is an interpretation, nothing more.

Last edited:
Permabanned
That is your interpretation, not all Muslims or Islamic thought agrees with that however.

The Qu'ran only the celebration of or the worshipping of other religions as being forbidden:

I understand that many Muslims believe the way you do and that is fine, however it is an interpretation, nothing more.

fair enough but

Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.

does not mean to say you just be saying merry christmas to them on the day of their celebration even though they are celebrating for the wrong thing and reasons in the eyes of Islam. You should not be well wishing that which is wrong.

Permabanned
fair enough but

does not mean to say you just be saying merry christmas to them on the day of their celebration even though they are celebrating for the wrong thing and reasons in the eyes of Islam. You should not be well wishing that which is wrong.

However the Qu'ran also teaches that you should show respect to Christians and therefore wishing them well during their time of piety is simply following the Qu'ran.

Like I said it is all about interpretation. :)

I don't wish to derail the thread on comparative interpretation of the Qu'ran, so while I understand your point of view and how you derive it, it is not necessarily followed or accepted by all Muslims.

Ramadan Mubarak

Soldato
fair enough but

Can't you just say it to be polite tho? Does it matter if you say, 'Merry Christmas'? All it means is, have a nice Christmas, as in, have a nice religious holiday, it doesn't mean, 'All worship to God' or anything.

Soldato
Can't you just say it to be polite tho? Does it matter if you say, 'Merry Christmas'? All it means is, have a nice Christmas, as in, have a nice religious holiday, it doesn't mean, 'All worship to God' or anything.

They could say it, its not like they are going to hell.

Quite an interesting response though, the popular opinion that muslims would not say merry christmas, I wouldnt say ramadan mubarek to muslims I know, but they wouldnt expect me to, just as I wouldnt expect them to say merry xmas to me, I wasnt really sure on the etiquette. I have some good chats with my local shopkeeper Mohammed, so I shall bring this and see what he thinks of it too.

We have many good discussions on religion and every day things, he's my goto guy for asian related matters.

One

One

Soldato
Might try this to lose weight. When it says no drinking does that just mean alcohol? Surely you don't actually stop drinking water, I'm pretty sure that would be detrimental to your health.

Soldato
A muslim is not permitted to say Merry Christmas. This because saying it is as if you are condoning the celebration and you are a part of it even though in Islam it is not permitted, therefore a non muslim should not say Ramadan Mubarak.

Funny, my local shop owner is Muslim, not only does he wish his customers Merry Christmas he sells Santa Hats, Xmas cards and tinsel too.

Guess the interpretation of Islam changes when there's money involved.

Soldato
My local shop owner wont sell alcohol, he could do a roaring trade as there is nothing within a few miles.

I like that he wont compromise his principles, he works harder than anyone I know, 6am to 8pm although he often has a crafty sleep behind his counter.

Back
Top Bottom