Worried about the welfare of another

Soldato
"The human emotional system is a complex beast at the best of times..." very insightful.

I stand by my view. If someone has decided to commit suicide (using the complext beast of an an emotional system) then they are going to do it. Taking a few tablets after telling people you are about to take tablets, couple of cuts across the wrist etc etc isnt a suicide attempt its a cry out for someone to help. A cry out to a white knight over MSN is case 1.
Shut up.

You have absolutely no idea what you are dribbling on about.

Man of Honour
Seek professional help and stop posting about it on the internet.
Seeking professional mental health care is one thing, getting it is another.

At no point does a teenager cutting her forearms 'to relieve the emotional pain' come close to being considered an emergency in need of an ambulance or the police immediately.

Actually, this is not an uncommon call to attend for me. People who tear up their room, self harm, take overdoses or otherwise try and kill themselves is a worryingly common occurrence. It is something the police do regularly get involved in and do have powers in public places. If it's in a private place we can arrange professional assessment voluntarily. There are also mental health crisis teams that we can get in contact with.

So despite people saying don't call the Police, we do seem to patch the holes that the NHS has in this area.

Permabanned
"The human emotional system is a complex beast at the best of times..." very insightful.

I stand by my view. If someone has decided to commit suicide (using the complext beast of an an emotional system) then they are going to do it. Taking a few tablets after telling people you are about to take tablets, couple of cuts across the wrist etc etc isnt a suicide attempt its a cry out for someone to help. A cry out to a white knight over MSN is case 1.

Regardless, the person is clearly unhappy and in any decent person is a moral imperative to help out.

Associate
Regardless, the person is clearly unhappy and in any decent person is a moral imperative to help out.

Indeed, it appears mental health continues to carry the social stigma that people should just "pull themselves together and get on with it".
Having seen severe depression first-hand, self-harm or worse is not always a case of just somebody who fancies a bit of attention. Conditions such as bipolar can be debilitating to the point of withdrawing from society completely and even affecting someone to the point of changing their personality.

The brain is frankly still a mystery and while most other illnesses have obvious physical symptoms that can be clearly seen or felt, the treatment for mental heath problems continues to be a case of trial and error and totally dependant on the patient to give clear feedback. We are merely scratching the surface with mental health conditions and in general just controlling the worst symptoms with mood-altering medication, whilst trying to find a way to understand the greater and more damaging emotional problems it causes.

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Shut up?? Its a forum douche bag.

I see it from a logical point of view (yeah that complex emotional system will come into play) but if you have come to the decission to end your life then you make it happen. Shotgun in mouth, many many tablets, car fumes in garage, jump off a high building whatever. "Suicide attempts"... seeking attention.

I'm not even going to get in to the debate (especially after listening to some of the calls we've had today), but you need a bit of a reality check. I can fully appreciate an opinion / view on something; but when it comes to human life, I don't personally tolerate dribble like that.

Whether you think it is attention seeking or not is one thing, but at the end of the day, even if it was failed, it was still an attempt to end life. It has to be taken seriously.

Associate
:confused:

Is it just my becoming more aware of it as I grew up (ie from 16 onwards) or is self-harming a 'new' thing for our generation?

It's an emo afaik... :rolleyes:

But on topic, I would suggest local GP (maybe some meds) and counseling. This person also seems like someone who spend a lot of time by themselves so get the out if the house and involve in something they are interested in to take their mind off the 'bad things'.

Last edited:
Soldato
you may not like to hear this but....

you SIMPLY cannot help her. she needs a professional help. if she commit suicide. her parent will hold you responsible. wouldnt be nice

you should not asking her questions otherwise you'll be involved. (i think you already are anyway)

good luck

edit: if doctors/NHS cant help her then you cant help her. she sounds she got very very serious issue in her head.

Soldato

I see it from a logical point of view (yeah that complex emotional system will come into play) but if you have come to the decission to end your life then you make it happen. Shotgun in mouth, many many tablets, car fumes in garage, jump off a high building whatever. "Suicide attempts"... seeking attention.
Captain black & white to the rescue.

What you are saying is, if person A attempts task B & they don't succeed - they didn't attempt it?

How many people lose nerve?, change their mind half way through a genuine attempt?, don't use the correct amount?, don't have access to guns? - don't expect to waltz into a thread with a clear lack of knowledge on the subject matter at hand - making blanket statements & expect not to get challenged.

Associate
Indeed, it appears mental health continues to carry the social stigma that people should just "pull themselves together and get on with it".
Having seen severe depression first-hand, self-harm or worse is not always a case of just somebody who fancies a bit of attention. Conditions such as bipolar can be debilitating to the point of withdrawing from society completely and even affecting someone to the point of changing their personality.

The brain is frankly still a mystery and while most other illnesses have obvious physical symptoms that can be clearly seen or felt, the treatment for mental heath problems continues to be a case of trial and error and totally dependant on the patient to give clear feedback.

Indeed. I certainly dont mean to make light of the "attention" - if someone is at the point of self harming then they need and deserve help. The line i was talking about in particular was:

"Her: if i thought it was easy, i wouldn't have attempted suicide as many times as I have" - This is attention seeking.

Associate

Since you operate from logic, you could also learn the Vulcan discipline of Kolinar, to purge all emotion from your being.

Soldato
Indeed. I certainly dont mean to make light of the "attention" - if someone is at the point of self harming then they need and deserve help. The line i was talking about in particular was:

"Her: if i thought it was easy, i wouldn't have attempted suicide as many times as I have" - This is attention seeking.
Fair enough if you didn't mean it that way.

But you don't know if it's attention seeking.

You are making a snap judgement on a situation you have no understanding of (none of us do, we are not there) - it COULD be attention seeking, but it's better to assume otherwise (because the worse that can happen is you indulge an attention seeker, compared to what can happen is you withdraw support for somebody who needs it who then commits suicide).

Soldato
Realistically, the times when you need to be really worried around a depressed person is when they go quiet.
Until then you just need to make sure they aren't getting too bad, talk to them etc.

Quiet is when a person is genuinely considering suicide/ has a serious cutting problem. Suicidal people don't talk about it.

Depression is a deep sea to go swimming in man, it's not that the NHS are useless it's that it's a big field and theres no set course of treatment.

Soldato
Actually, this is not an uncommon call to attend for me. People who tear up their room, self harm, take overdoses or otherwise try and kill themselves is a worryingly common occurrence. It is something the police do regularly get involved in and do have powers in public places. If it's in a private place we can arrange professional assessment voluntarily. There are also mental health crisis teams that we can get in contact with.

So despite people saying don't call the Police, we do seem to patch the holes that the NHS has in this area.

So yeah, basically as they said - someone trying to kill themselves - sure, call 999.

Phoning up to say 'Sometimes my friend on MSN cuts her arms and I think she should get some professional help, who can I speak to?' as the OP did, is not a 999 call.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't like to say it but, isn't there a chance that she is lying in part. I knew a girl that self harmed and "tried to commit suicide" at uni and she was always lying for attention.

I find it a little hard to believe that she is going to medical professionals with deep fresh wounds each week and they are saying "no worries".

She needs professional help but I would wager that she is not being 100% honest with you.

Man of Honour
So yeah, basically as they said - someone trying to kill themselves - sure, call 999.

Err no. People have breakdowns in many ways that don't include the desire to kill themselves, indeed self harming is very different to wanting to commit suicide.

This is a very broad and complex area that tbh I only touch the surface of and this thread is full of people who just don't know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Err no. People have breakdowns in many ways that don't include the desire to kill themselves, indeed self harming is very different to wanting to commit suicide.

This is a very broad and complex area that tbh I only touch the surface on and this thread is full of people who just don't know what they are talking about.

Bingo.

Tbh thread should be closed. The answer was seek professional help - surprsingly enough, the same as any "medical" thread.

Back
Top Bottom