Acceptable packet loss on a business/payment line

Associate
Hi guys,

Now I'm not a networks guy, though unfortunately due to some internal 'problems', I can't pass this on to the team that should do this, or more, I can't trust it to them...

I'm looking to monitor the reliability/performance of our external connection. Now I've set up a ping to google, 1000 pings 5msec apart every 60 seconds and I'm recieving a packet loss of about 4-5%. Simple question is, is this acceptable for a business line which handles payment information? Credit card transactions and such.

Thanks guys :)

Soldato
There may or may not be performance guarantees on your line, you'd need to check, but I'd not be overly happy of that level of packet loss on a business line regardless of the what you are using it for.

Contact you provider and raise the issue with them and see what they say.

Soldato
When you say business line, are you talking a leased line or a share of bandwidth at the local exchange along with all other local users?

On our leased line I do not expect to see 1% packet loss - if I was to send a string of pings for say 12 hours I'd expect to see a handful of dropped packets at most.

Would expect pretty good for more standard ADSL based connections too - 5% packet loss is rather high.

Associate
OP
Sorry for the delay guys, we're in the middle of an audit at the moment *dies.

The line is a virgin media leased line, 100mbit. The packetloss has dropped off over the last week, but I still get an average of 1% or so...

Soldato
Run a "pathping" to a major server somewhere and see where the packet loss is. Actually run it to 2 or 3 major sites and see if it's at the same hop the problems occur.

Associate
What stoofa said. Do a pathping to make sure it is definitely happening out side your building's internal network first.

If it's a business leased line, then yes, I would not expect any packet loss! ADSL though depends who your ISP is but from experience BT will accept a good few % loss on business ADSL as normall :(

Back
Top Bottom