Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread

Associate
Installed into VMWare just to have a check and it automatically activated - I dont recall it having asked me if I wanted to activate during install.

Maybe it did and I missed it but its not a mistake I have made before

Soldato
I've uninstalled free bundled apps already but that naming thing wasn't obvious at all cheers!

Now that's more like it.

I've not found a quick way to shut down without having to go to sign out then swipe up the lock screen then click shut down, any ideas on that? :)

Yes, create a bat file which has

shutdown -s -t 0

written in it :)

Associate
Thats a bummer

Following the evaluation period, you will need to replace the operating system on your test computer and reinstall all your programs and data. It is not possible to upgrade the evaluation to a licensed working version of Windows 8 Enterprise. A clean installation is required.

Soldato
Thats a bummer

Following the evaluation period, you will need to replace the operating system on your test computer and reinstall all your programs and data. It is not possible to upgrade the evaluation to a licensed working version of Windows 8 Enterprise. A clean installation is required.

Yep, the warning is pretty clear so hopefully people will pay attention to it. The amount of whining when people realized they couldn't upgrade from the Windows 7 RC a few years ago was ridiculous.

Soldato
I can only assume that there are a lot of IT Professionals here. I find MSDN invaluable and I make sure the company I work for renews every year.
I wont of course be installing at home until retail versions are out, but will use the full version at work from tomorrow.

Caporegime
I still can't fathom out why so many people seem to really want Windows 8

I see no compelling reason to upgrade. 7 is more than good enough for me.

Doesn't matter if metro really isn't that bad. I'm not going to go out and buy a new OS because "it isn't as bad as you think."

If I'm going to go and and buy a new OS, it's because I think I can't live without it.

Soldato
I believe you download the standard Windows 8 ISO and then simply type in a Win8 or Win8 Pro key to activate that version.

Curious about the GB version. I've never seen MS do that before.

It was because during setup of the CS and RC the "language" was always United States but you could choose a US keyboard layout.

This meant that spellcheckers would always fail for things like "colour" and "honour". With the GB English version, this isn't an issue :)

Associate
I believe you download the standard Windows 8 ISO and then simply type in a Win8 or Win8 Pro key to activate that version.

My MSDN downloads page has separate versions for Win8 Enterprise and Win8 only, both with separate keys.

Pro asks for a key at install, Enterprise installs without key (assume KMS).

Soldato

It was because during setup of the CS and RC the "language" was always United States but you could choose a US keyboard layout.

This meant that spellcheckers would always fail for things like "colour" and "honour". With the GB English version, this isn't an issue :)

The GB English version of Windows 8 means that you will get the British spellings used thru out the Windows 8 system, dialogues/options and other system messages.

Back
Top Bottom