Royal Mail to roll out leave with neighbour scheme

Soldato
Nearly all pasties allready do it.
It's in the main news and most people have heard off it and again it allready happens in most areas. It's never been an issue or faffing. Posies love it, as they don't have to carry it for the rest of the round, so that's another null point.

Not true, we almost all share vans now so we only have to carry it for about 30 mins max before we dump it in the van.

Associate
OP
Love all the hate for RM on these forums.

As far as I know I was told last week for those living in areas it will be getting rolled out in there will be a leaflet going to every house with information on it and you can opt out if you wish.
Also they will leave cards if you do opt in to say it has been left with the neighbour and what number, the new cards are already in our office and it is being rolled out soon.
And this was trialled else where before being put in place around the rest of the country so it obviously worked. It is already quite common practice.

I don't hate RM. I just don't want my post left with someone else and I don't think I should have to accept it by default either. I think it should be opt in for anyone who wants it and it shouldn't have been pushed so far in the first place.

Associate
I can see a potential problems if you have a problem with neighbour like I do.....lol.

But this is also going to affect sending mail also.....would you now choose royal mail to send parcels....I would had to maybe reconsider......their loss

Soldato
And other couriers don't do this already? I 100% sure that others do this, maybe they aren't meant to but I know they do so its swings and round abouts.
You can opt out of the official way and it won't happen or the off chance a competitor does it thinking it is good will and you don't wish them to.

Permabanned
I live in an Asian community where everyone on the street/community knows everyone. So the postie can take a pic from the houses on the Road I live, and it will be in safe hands. :)

As long as they leave a note saying which neighbour has the parcel I will like to opt in. :)

Soldato
I live in a well regarded middle class area, and have known all my neighbours and postmen since I can remember, so we pretty much already have this scheme running unofficially, it's quite brilliant.

Soldato
That is a stupid idea and is just randomly trusting people with your stuff. Very stupid and should not be allowed to do that.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It should be opt in rather than opt out. Nothing that could have significant disadvantages to you should be opt out.

Man of Honour
It should be opt in rather than opt out. Nothing that could have significant disadvantages to you should be opt out.

its a company, don't like it, don't use them. They can do what they want. this scheme already runs unofficially in most of the country anyway.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
its a company, don't like it, don't use them. They can do what they want. this scheme already runs unofficially in most of the country anyway.

It may not be me choosing to use them or not. If it is such a brilliant scheme then there should be no issue with an opt in system. Opt out systems are generally frowned upon in many areas of business, especially if it can come with disadvantages.

Man of Honour
Few people opts for anything, which is why opt out will be far more successful as it doesn't really on lazy people actually making a descion.
Royal mail have to cut costs and we are talking about parcels, which almost certainly means you have full controll on what you buy and where from, and as such the delivery method. Letters from banks and stuff are still going to go through your letter box.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Few people opts for anything, which is why opt out will be far more successful as it doesn't really on lazy people actually making a descion.

I know opt outs are much more successful for the company but that is neither here nor their. If it carries a disadvantage to the customer then it should be opt in.

Royal mail have to cut costs and we are talking about parcels, which almost certainly means you have full controll on what you buy and where from, and as such the delivery method. Letters from banks and stuff are still going to go through your letter box.

I have received 3 parcels this last couple of weeks from Royal Mail that I had no input or control of, they were sent to me from other people. I have also ordered things in the past that offer no choice of delivery service.

Man of Honour
I know opt outs are much more successful for the company but that is neither here nor their. If it carries a disadvantage to the customer then it should be opt in.

Why? What's your reasoning for that, can you dictate to other companies, no you can't.

I have received 3 parcels this last couple of weeks from Royal Mail that I had no input or control of, they were sent to me from other people. I have also ordered things in the past that offer no choice of delivery service.

first one that's up to the senders, they are teh one with the contract and if you didn't buy it, it has nothing to do with you. second point, don't buy from them if you don't like the delivery service. Many people allready do that for several couriers as they dislike the service.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Why? What's your reasoning for that, can you dictate to other companies, no you can't.

There have been several high profile cases in the past where the use of an opt-out was considered a problem (M&S moving from a store card to a credit card for example). Royal Mail obviously realise that this service could be problematic for some as they are offering the opt out. I just personally feel that as it can be disadvantages to the customer it should be opt in.

first one that's up to the senders, they are teh one with the contract and if you didn't buy it, it has nothing to do with you. second point, don't buy from them if you don't like the delivery service. Many people allready do that for several couriers as they dislike the service.

Well it does have something to do with me as I am the recipient, the parcels were sent to me! Also the person making the contract may have no idea how trustworthy you neighbours are and so cannot easily make an informed decision. Finally the opt out is at recipient level so once again it is recipient focused not sender focused.

Man of Honour
Sent to you, you do not hold the contract. It's not your choice, you have no say, nothing to do with you.
The opt out is receiver focused, everything else is sender focused. Two very different things. Don't like it opt out, that pretty much sums it up. Ou haven't right to dictate,assuming rm is granted it.

Soldato
Well I got a leaflet through today so went to check out the site to see if it cleared up my question (http://www.royalmail.com/delivery-to-neighbour) which unsurprisingly it doesn't (unless I have had a blonde moment and missed it - residences with a shared letterbox). I've requested an opt out sticker and I guess I'll just have to make one of my own to go along side it specifying for my flat only (unless other residents are in agreement).

Though that might be a bit awkward:
'Are you opting out?'
'No. Why, are you?'
'Yeah'
'Why is that then?'
'Err...........'
:D

Soldato
I'm opting out for the reasons I stated on the RM site.

1) Don't want to impose on neighbours with a lot of packages.
2) No guarantee which neighbour the package will be left with.
3) They may open it by mistake.
4) They may damage or lose it.
5) They might be out when you want to collect.

http://public.datasquirt.co.uk/cscommsroyalmail/forms/Delivery to Neighbour Opt-out

EDIT: 6) Some packages it's useful to refuse delivery and have it returned to sender, can't do that if neighbour already signed for it.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry if someone already posted this but what if a parcel is sent to a wrong or old address?

At least the strain will be take off the sorting office so those who opt out might get a decent service

Back
Top Bottom