YESSS!!! fractal define r4 is out!

Soldato
I have made a few for R2 & R3. Would need detailed measurements and pics of bottom to make one for R4. I assume it will be very similar to R2/R3 but wider.

Soldato
Here's a pic of my system on caster base with TY-143 fans :)
mysideTY-143-1.jpg

Soldato
The first couple of caster bases looked like this
Front is left side. Back has to give access to PSU filter so it can slide out.
DefineR2casterbase.jpg

Soldato
Assuming the R4 feet are same as R2/3 feet yes they come off. The base is not screwed on. If you look real close you can see little clear bumps on the raised sections. These are cabinet door silencers and are what the case sets on.

When do you get your R4 case?

Soldato
Can you buy the caster base or is it a DIY job? What decent £30-50 HSFs are compatible with the case?

Caster base is DIY or I could make you one.

Most all HSFs will fit in this case. FD specs it at 170mm but I think cpu clearance is more like 175mm. Case is 232mm wide. 6mm side cover + 175mm CPU clearance + 9mm cpu + 10mm mobo standoff + 26mm cable management + 6mm side cover = 232mm

Caporegime
In all honesty I have zilch DIY skills but have to start somewhere. Do you have the 'specs' of the wood, wheels and joints/screws I would need? I think my house mate's best friend is a joiner so he could probably help. Thanks :)

Last time I upgraded (C2D 6300), clearance wasn't really an issue :o

Soldato
I use 10mm baltic birch plywood. It's has 7 birch plys. I use 30mm wide pieces for sides, front and back on the one under my case in pic. Front and back pieces are glued on top of sides. I added little right angle triangular blocks on sides to improve looks. ;) Painted and use cabinet door / drawer silencers on top of base for case to set on. Next one the front will use a 30mm and a 60mm wide laminated together with a 45 degree angle on double thickness side. Either threaded stem or smooth 20mm stem casters with 40 or 50mm wheels... usually7 40mm. Your mate's mate can use his glue of choice.

I've made 5 of these now and only the first two are the same.

Soldato
I'm sure you will like it. I've seen some reviewers whining about R4 not having more minor changes that they didn't whined about on R3 but no real issues. It would have been nice if Fractal Design had used PWM fans, made the HDD rack 3 removable parts. so could use 1, 3, 5 or 8 HDD configuration, and used casters instead of feet, made front door open both ways, used wire grills on vents instead of punching lots of little holes, .... whine whine, whine.

Last edited:
Associate
Lol. i will keep you guys posted for my opinion. as for the PWM fans i will no doubt be replacing the fans in the case with 140mm Akasa Venoms some time next week. i will have to have the back with 2x120mm though because of my antec kuhler 620. i don't know if i will get any for the top yet i will see how it performs i guess.

Soldato
If you know a little joinery it's not too hard to build one. Having made several I can do one in a couple of hours. If you need any help or need one made let me know.

Back
Top Bottom