Would this be a stupid first bike?

Associate
depends a lot on you.

but shouldn't be too bad, nice commuter with a bit of pep for the weekend blasts.

the 24,000 is what scares me a little.

Soldato
Great first bike. It's what my missus bought when she passed her test. I bought a ZXR6R as my first bike. There only as quick as you want them to be. Awesome handling and great stoppers.

Soldato
OP
Great first bike. It's what my missus bought when she passed her test. I bought a ZXR6R as my first bike. There only as quick as you want them to be. Awesome handling and great stoppers.

I'm led to believe its not just about top speed. They all do 140mph+. Which will do more than kill you.

Gear changes, sharper handling, more lean etc. I don't think jumping on a track bike would be that smart as a novice rider. I've grown attached to my limbs over the years, no pun intended!

I'd imagine it'd be like jumping into a Lamborghini after passing your driving test, yes it will only go as fast as you push the pedal, but your a lot more likely to mangle it.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love a ZX6-R

Associate
It depends how much you trust yourself more than anything, I jumped from my 125 to an R6 and I was very careful with the throttle to begin with and just eased myself into it learning what the bike could do. If you dive in the deep end and just rag it silly with no experience you will most likely end up being mopped of the road but the same could be said for any bigger bike really sports or not.

Soldato
CBR600F vs CBR600FS

Not a massive difference really, you get to choose between slightly more practicality (center stand and decent pillion seat on F) or slightly more sporty (slightly higher tuned engine, styling, paint jobs etc. on the FS). Both are good bikes, more road friendly than the R6, and better built.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the advice, especially the differences on the f sport.

It's costing me an extra 400 quid to insure the f sport over the standard, I will also be carrying a pillion, so the better seat on the f seems like the better option. Easier for a beginner, better seat and cheaper insurance.

Would a thundercat be a good buy? Is it similar to the 600f?

Is this a good buy? http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-cbr600f-excellent-condition/105492287

Cheers again! My budget is £2k btw.

Associate
It's costing me an extra 400 quid to insure the f sport over the standard, I will also be carrying a pillion, so the better seat on the f seems like the better option. Easier for a beginner, better seat and cheaper insurance.

Your pillion will thank you for the better seat. :)

Associate
I used to have a CBR600F. Used it for daily commute, and ride outs with mates at the weekend. All round good design, engine is bullet proof, and can be ridden as slow or hard as you like.

Cost me ~ £200 tpft insurance including legal cover, saying that I was over 30 when I had it :p

Soldato
OP
I used to have a CBR600F. Used it for daily commute, and ride outs with mates at the weekend. All round good design, engine is bullet proof, and can be ridden as slow or hard as you like.

Cost me ~ £200 tpft insurance including legal cover, saying that I was over 30 when I had it :p

£550 for me... I'm 22 pfft! I get a third off train tickets, so has its advantages!

Caporegime
I'm led to believe its not just about top speed. They all do 140mph+. Which will do more than kill you.

Gear changes, sharper handling, more lean etc. I don't think jumping on a track bike would be that smart as a novice rider. I've grown attached to my limbs over the years, no pun intended!

I'd imagine it'd be like jumping into a Lamborghini after passing your driving test, yes it will only go as fast as you push the pedal, but your a lot more likely to mangle it.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'd love a ZX6-R

i squeezed 170,mph out my zx6r!! plenty fast enough but for your first bike id choose a 125 because 9 times out of ten you always come off when you first start out,no matter how good a rider you are

Associate
Thanks for all the advice, especially the differences on the f sport.

Would a thundercat be a good buy? Is it similar to the 600f?

Is this a good buy? http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-cbr600f-excellent-condition/105492287

Cheers again! My budget is £2k btw.

I literally have that exact same bike and other than the fact it's a little quiet it's been great. Seat is quite comfy, good mpg, pretty quick when pushed, handles really well now she's got new tyres on her and looks great in black imo.

edit: also I paid 2.2k for mine so that's a good deal :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you go 600F, mine is a 1999 Carb model and it's fantastic, pulls like a steam train, any of these with 100+ BHP will shift like billy o'... and you can get the FX/FY models from £1500 onwards for solid clean examples... I prefer the older "none fox" front on mine than that later Fi models from 2001 onwards... but that's just me. Plus I love carbs lol.

Back
Top Bottom