Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Fired up Xbian, onto an older slower SD card. Despite that it seems to run well.
Copes with most 1080p films fine, however some of the really big ones seem to stutter :(

I've set the System->Video->Playback->A/V sync method to be Audio Clock and it helped a little - just not enough for Avatar!

Menu is so much more responsive than Raspmbc

I presume you are downmixing to stereo?

Associate
Wierd are your rips very big? I have a 9gig 1080p h264 .mkv with dts which is fine. What SD card are you using? Im on a SanDisk extreme. Also where are you playing from? Usb? SMB?

I stream from my media server over nfs as it has very little overhead. SMB slows things down loads here.

Associate
I can't get a decent download speed on my Pi.

I'm using a PNY 32GB Professional Class 10 SD Card with Wheezy running. iperf tests show 90 Mbit connection just fine but I can't get above 1 MB/s constant on any download, even just a wget in terminal (nothing else running, just booting straight to command line) On my PC I can get 9MB/s just fine

Tried to download direct to a USB HDD instead and no change.

Anyone else come across this problem and a solution, or simply a card/distro that works on paper to its benchmark speeds?

Soldato
Wierd are your rips very big? I have a 9gig 1080p h264 .mkv with dts which is fine. What SD card are you using? Im on a SanDisk extreme. Also where are you playing from? Usb? SMB?

I stream from my media server over nfs as it has very little overhead. SMB slows things down loads here.
My Avatar rip is about 25GB. lol. The smaller 1080p films are fine. I guess it could perhaps just be pure streaming bandwidth, i'll have to try it locally.

I'm streaming from my Win7 desktop via SMB currently as it was dead easy to configure. Not having to have a special app configured for it to work is great. Every time I've tried other media sharing (ie for my tablet or ps3) it's just been constant issues.

It's currently on an old slow sd card, so I'll try it on my decent one. I had Raspbmc on the decent one and just wanted to try Xbian without losing my other config. Now I've decided that Xbian is definitely the better one I'll move it over to the quicker card.

Zid - have you got lots connected to usb. Think I saw somewhere that the ethernet connected uses the same power that the usb does - ie if you draw too much current you can have issues. Perhaps it is slowing the port down?

Associate
Zid - have you got lots connected to usb. Think I saw somewhere that the ethernet connected uses the same power that the usb does - ie if you draw too much current you can have issues. Perhaps it is slowing the port down?

Yeah I've heard the same thing but I'm running it headless, and connecting in via SSH. Speed is exactly the same as if I have a keyboard in and unplug it after I hit enter on the WGet.

Associate
I have some questions!

I have a pi i share with my housemate for raspbmc just now but audio only airplay isnt supported from iphone nor mac (havent even upgraded to mountain lion yet because of this)

But read a guide that said if your running the normal OS

http://trouch.com/2012/08/03/airpi-airplay-audio-with-raspberry/

its possible,

So has anyone tried this or something similar? (with os x and mountain lion) to stream audio directly from itunes

Associate
I have some questions!

I have a pi i share with my housemate for raspbmc just now but audio only airplay isnt supported from iphone nor mac (havent even upgraded to mountain lion yet because of this)

its possible,

So has anyone tried this or something similar? (with os x and mountain lion) to stream audio directly from itunes

Yeah works well. I've got shairport running on Arch instead: http://engineer.john-whittington.co.uk/2012/08/airpi-diy-airplay-speakers/ and I've heard installing on raspbmc works well too.

Associate
I have some questions!

its possible,

Well that's explaining a lot! I couldn't for the life of me understand why YouTube and video would work but music wouldn't, that's saved me a few hours of work tomorrow.

My current setup is raspbmc running on my bedroom tv and the appletv running downstairs with crystalbuntu. However the lack of hdmi on the downstairs means I need to use component and it's not giving as good performance as I would have hoped after changing the config file.

Will the raspbmc play 720p/1080p and downscale to 576p for composite output on the pi?

Associate
Yes it will downscale to output over composite.

New Xbian is out for anyone who cares - v0.7b1 - with a further nice speed bump.

Ah good, I might just swap the two devices over then at this rate, will need to find a remote to use with the pi for the parents

is it possible to set the cpu to 800MHz in raspbmc? I havnt started to look if its possible but im hoping its just a simple line edit

edit: i found out its just a simple edit in the boot folder, although I killed my distro by trying to install the shairport stuff, seems raspbmc doesn't like all the extra libs that are required

Last edited:
Associate
I know im double posting, but for those running raspbmc rc4 and want airplay, run the following two commands:

Code:
wget http://ishibashi.alfahosting.org/shairport_raspbmc_rc4.sh
sh shairport_raspbmc_rc4.sh

makes it very easy to get things running for airplay (audio)

Associate
Here's a picture of the case I bought the other week - £2.99 + delivery on eBay:

rpi.jpg

It's pretty damned good. Little tricky to put together, but it's fairly sturdy, fits the Pi fine and it looks good too. I'd have preferred an opaque one, but there weren't any on eBay, but I'm impressed by the quality of this for such a cheap price, especially compared with other RPi cases being sold at the moment.

Just a shame I haven't really had time to play with the Pi much - moved house and started work this week, still getting the new flat kitted out. Considering picking up a cheap secondhand flatscreen (either monitor or TV) to set the Pi up as a media player, but it'll have to wait a month or two til I've got the money.

Associate
Here's a picture of the case I bought the other week - £2.99 + delivery on eBay:

rpi.jpg

It's pretty damned good. Little tricky to put together, but it's fairly sturdy, fits the Pi fine and it looks good too. I'd have preferred an opaque one, but there weren't any on eBay, but I'm impressed by the quality of this for such a cheap price, especially compared with other RPi cases being sold at the moment.

Just a shame I haven't really had time to play with the Pi much - moved house and started work this week, still getting the new flat kitted out. Considering picking up a cheap secondhand flatscreen (either monitor or TV) to set the Pi up as a media player, but it'll have to wait a month or two til I've got the money.

Hi Steven
You would by any chance have the eBay item number handy please,
I need another case for my second raspberry.

Kenneth.

Associate
Sure thing, it's 280942333022. the seller is 'Pi-Works'. There's an almost identical case on eBay for the same amount, with a slightly different way of piecing together, but the seller's history was mainly full of car parts, so I instead went for the one with Pi in the name who had a history of selling these things.

Don't be surprised if it's blue when it arrives - it's got protective plastic on both sides of every piece, you need to peel the plastic off before you put it together. Or if you like it blue, I suppose you could leave it on. Mine was in its packet for a few days before I opened it, and I was under the mistaken impression they'd sent me a rogue blue one by mistake.

Associate
Sure thing, it's 280942333022. the seller is 'Pi-Works'. There's an almost identical case on eBay for the same amount, with a slightly different way of piecing together, but the seller's history was mainly full of car parts, so I instead went for the one with Pi in the name who had a history of selling these things.

Don't be surprised if it's blue when it arrives - it's got protective plastic on both sides of every piece, you need to peel the plastic off before you put it together. Or if you like it blue, I suppose you could leave it on. Mine was in its packet for a few days before I opened it, and I was under the mistaken impression they'd sent me a rogue blue one by mistake.

Thanks steven , I am going to when I get a chance use this one for more than a media machine, so this one with being plastic clear ish will be spot on for connecting up and Modding with the good old dremmel. :)

Kenneth

Associate
unbelievable, been waiting for week for a PI from RS Components, and still waiting I might add. Gave up yesterday and ordered from Farnell....it's been dispatched already. Wish I could get hold of someone from RS to give them a piece of my mind!
Cancelled with RS, so now I'll play the waiting game to see when I get my money back, seen as though they have had it since JUNE!

Associate
Do you guys think this will run Asterisk ok for 2 - 3 endpoints? SIP non need outside lines. Want to run it in a pub with wireless phones via Cisco Aironet devices.

Thanks

Soldato
I also bought one of the acrylic cases above and it is VERY delicate IMO. Two of the corner clips are broken (one was broken in the post).

That aside it is a nice case, very strong other than the corner sections.

Also it looks quite cool with the protective film on.

Back
Top Bottom