BenQ XL2420T Now available

Soldato
Well idk how many it is myself, strains my eye to try and count. But I told them these developed recently and weren't present when i got the monitor on release.

Wasn't sure on whether they'd replace it which is why I contacted them directly. If so I'm happy to buy another 2 for surround which is what I told them, otherwise they can stuff it.

Man of Honour
Have to say not a big fan of this monitor - great and responsive for gaming and I'm not seeing any real overdrive artifacts, etc. but the LED backlighting is a step backwards imo with a fairly blueish tint to larger areas of white and no matter what I do I can't seem to bring the red out of areas of blue making them slightly more purple than they should be and midtones have a bit of a green hue :( but I think most of the problem is the LED backlighting just gives it a harsher look and lacks the deep blacks of CCFL backlight displays like my old 2233rz.

EDIT: And it doesn't seem to like native DisplayPort, not sure if its a monitor or cable problem but just gives "No Signal Detected!" message even tho Windows can see the panel and the displayport output works via an adapter to DVI so its working that much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone using this panel with the displayport male to male cables sold by OcUK? I'm getting no picture as my edit above while using one even tho the monitor is detected in windows, I'm guessing the cables are DP1.0 and the panel is fussy about having a 1.1a AKA "2.0" cable?

Permabanned
Display Port is notoriously finickity, its not the monitor, DP has all sorts of potential problems.

I had this monitor and tried using DP, it was fine, but my older monitor for example had problems losing connection and not connecting. DP is very tempermental use DL DVI if you can as its much better.

As for the tinges of blue people are seeing and red looking purple, are you sure you dont have it on game mode? because thats exactly what game mode does, it makes red look purple and gives a blue tinge to the screen, and mucks up all the colours.

I had it collaborated on user mode and it was perfect.. as good as a TN gets anyway.

Man of Honour
Positive its not in game mode.

DL-DVI is not an option - I'm currently using a laptop that has HDMI, VGA and fullsize DP outputs, options being either converting one of the digital connections to single link DVI (which doesn't support 120Hz so just using as a fallback), an active adapter to dual link DVI or native DP - I'm guessing the laptop GPU isn't helping here either as they tend to be a bit hit and miss what they actually support on the outputs.

Probably gonna have to source a fullsized DP to DL-DVI active adapter :|

Last edited:
Permabanned
Then maybe a few of these montiors have tinges of colour, although if you collaborate it properly they should be sweet.

Most of the Korean/Hazro monitors have tinges of blue/red before you properly collaborate them, many people just dont seem to notice.

Man of Honour
Got displayport working by dropping down to 304.79 nVidia drivers but it won't go above 60Hz even tho 120Hz is now displayed in the list of supported resolutions :S (just get a black screen if I try to use it). Not sure if its still a driver limitation or if the displayport connection on the laptop can't do above 60Hz :|

Soldato
Got displayport working by dropping down to 304.79 nVidia drivers but it won't go above 60Hz even tho 120Hz is now displayed in the list of supported resolutions :S (just get a black screen if I try to use it). Not sure if its still a driver limitation or if the displayport connection on the laptop can't do above 60Hz :|

it's a 1.2 displayport?

1.0/1.1 might not have enough bandwidth? (guessing)

edit, just read 1.1 can do 120hz

Man of Honour
Think its a driver issue - playing with custom resolution I can get it upto 85Hz @ 1920 but above that the timing calculations seem to go all out of whack either that or the cable or GPU hardware can't deliver the bandwidth required. Gonna play with it a bit more but I will be happy enough if I can get 85Hz working without any problems as thats about the top end of my ability to process information.

EDIT: Got it upto 90Hz but seems to get flaky about there - definitely doesn't like anything above ~225MHz pixel clock.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Out the box its far too washed out and bright. Standard mode improves it a lot but if like me you've come from a panel that calibrates to perfection it shows quite a few issues in color reproduction. After a lot of tweaking I found that taking the standard mode and adjusting Brightness 28, Gamma 2, R 97, G 94, B 98 gave the closest thing to balanced colors (gamma is still very slightly off) but patches of bright colors are still hard on the eyes and blacks not as deep as I'd like and certain shades of blue are still reproduced as purple due to too much red tinge and mid-tones still have a slightly green hue tho not as bad as other settings show.

Last edited:
Associate
Rroff - how does the Benq compare to your 2233rz for fps gaming? I ask because after some extensive testing, even the vg278he couldn't compete with my 2233rz during fast movement.

Man of Honour
I'm currently having problems getting it running at 120Hz via displayport (I bought it specifically to go with my laptop which lacks DL-DVI) so not getting the best out of it in that regard but it feels slightly more responsive (lower input latency) even at 85Hz than the 2233rz, not quite as stable image on fast view changes (the 2233rz seems to settle to the correct color values quicker with less residual imagery but theres nothing significant in it) but I've yet to see any significant overdrive artifacts, ghosting or halos.

My main complaint is the LED backlighting - its fine for FPS gaming but when your viewing static images for any length of time or spending extended periods playing slower MMOs its quite tiring on the eyes.

EDIT: As I think other people have mentioned throughout this thread - its probably unbeaten if you play purely counter strike but I really really miss the 2233rz for image quality and how easy on the eyes it is for long periods of gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
The 10-15ms input lag of the Samsung is the only thing I don't like.

The backlight was why I decided to try the Asus first, since it has a higher PWM rate. Looks like the Benq may be off limits tbh :(

Rom

Rom

Associate
stupid question, but I'm at work, and the box with everything is here. Monitors at home.

to use the selector switch, do I have to plug the main USB lead into the pc?
I'm guessing That's for the USB ports on the side?

I know the mini USB needs plugging in. Will just save me going home without the lead, if I do need it.

Man of Honour
The remote thingy has a mini-USB type connection near the power connector, the opposite end to the USB connections - it comes with all the leads in the box for everything except displayport and HDMI.

Rom

Rom

Associate
Rather than start a new thread...

Is it normal for the side buttons to light up, like just a quick flash now and then ?
I only notice it now and then out of the corner of my eye, cant say ive sat for long and watched.

Man of Honour
They are proximity sensitive (light up when your hand is near them so you can see where the buttons are) and it seems a bit random, sometimes they activate from quite a distance.

Back
Top Bottom