Facebook: how do my mates know Ive read a private message????

Soldato
OP
'Don't fancy it tonight, sorry guys'.

Lol at defriending and blocking all of them :D.

Lol, I did tell them lot before to stop the drunken flood-messaging to my inbox but no-one listens so the unfriend & block works well. Ive done this to 11 people so far, only a couple of more drinkers left on friends list but they dont do drunken messaging or texting.

Soldato
My favourite thing to do is read the message so i know they have the notification telling them so. I will then sit and wait with the instant chatter open until i see them begin to type the "why have you not replied?" comment that inevitably follows. I will then quickly paste in the reply i wrote several hours ago in notepad just before they hit the reply button. Proceed as normal.

Soldato
OP
My favourite thing to do is read the message so i know they have the notification telling them so. I will then sit and wait with the instant chatter open until i see them begin to type the "why have you not replied?" comment that inevitably follows. I will then quickly paste in the reply i wrote several hours ago in notepad just before they hit the reply button. Proceed as normal.

Lol good trick I'll keep that in mind. I cant believe I had NO idea that FB even had this feature :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yea I did that, also unfriended and blocked all of them.

Is this meant to be sarcasm? :confused:

What is the point of that?

Caporegime
I think it's a good feature, I don't have to wonder whether or not someone got an important message or not and they can't pretend they didn't read it. Since I don't add stalkers etc. as friends I'm not bothered by the fact that people know I didn't respond to their message.

Soldato
It's as bad as email clients that ask for a receipt/read message. First thing I turn off given the opportunity - on bother personal and business machines. I'll reply when I'm good and ready.

Hardly bother with Facebook though. Bores me senseless within 30 seconds of opening the page.

Associate
I'd imagine it's done in PHP, so that when you request the information within by clicking on it, it logs this request and who you are via your session, and prints this as 'Viewed by...' data to everyone else.

I don't find it that useful as no-one's ever complained to me for not replying immediately and when it's the other way around it's what I would've guessed anyway (that they saw it and weren't arsed replying).

Back
Top Bottom