• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX480 SLi worth it or start again?

Permabanned
I'm just upgrading my Mobo to a GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 for SLi and an IB i7. WOndering whether to flog iff my 480 Accellero or just pick up another one cheap and SLi it up. Has there really been a big bump with a 680/670 to justify it?

Soldato
A 680 is generally, slightly slower than a pair of 480's. However it produces far less heat, noise (trusting you get a good one) and consumes far less power. Also, no sli scaling problems which some people have, not that I've had any.

Another point of note is power draw through the pci-e slots. I burnt out a gigabyte x58-extreme with my 480 sli as there is no pci-e power plug on the mainboard. So while the 480 sli may be the cheaper option it may not be the best for the above reasons.

Associate
ive been thinking of a cheap sli setup vs a gtx 680 too, however I decided against it when I saw the 680 spanked the 480 sli comprehensively when it came to minimum fps which is far more important when you have the eye candy turned up :)

Back
Top Bottom