Is it just me... #2

Soldato
Or are touch screen/touch sensitive screens/buttons become far too common in cars.

Brands like Jag/Lexus etc are moving most of the main car controls to the touch screen. Now, for media I understand why they'd have it on the touch screen as it saves a huge amount of buttons. The things that I don't like are when the volume/heater/air con/seat controls are on the screen.

I much prefer using a nice, high quality button/dial to adjust things. Plus with buttons you don't need to take your eyes off the road, you just know where they are instinctively.

Also you might have to lean forward to reach the screen, where as a button/dial will be placed in a nice comfortable position.

Anyone else share this view? It seems to be coming more and more common/popular but I think it's a crap!

/rant

Soldato
Erm...Jag/Lexus both employ iDrive-esq systems that are controlled with a "mouse/controller".

Jag haven't done for years, they use a touch screen. The updated system in my XF is much improved and has short cut button. I have no problem with it, its no different from using my 335D's iDrive.

Lexus do use a joystick command mouse type things which is a bit rubbish on the new GS.

Caporegime
Absolutely hate touchscreen controls in cars. You have to stretch too far to get to them, you can't "feel" your way around for the correct button (instead having to take your eyes off the road), the screen gets covered in fingerprints/greasy smudges, and I prefer a degree of tactile feedback.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely hate touchscreen controls in cars. You have to stretch too far to get to them, you can't "feel" your way around for the correct button (instead having to take your eyes off the road), the screen gets covered in fingerprints/greasy smudges, and I prefer a degree of tactile feedback.

Probably summed it up better than I did.

Soldato
Have to say I agree on this one... Got an Alpine INE S900R and it can be quite dangerous looking down to skip a track etc, pressing it 2 /3 times to change.

Very much want to get some sort of steering wheel controls >.<

Soldato
OP
Touchscreens in Jags are the one reason, (petty, I know) that I won't buy an XF, XJ or XK :(

It wouldn't stop me from buying one, but instead of making the car seem more luxurious and expense it just makes it seem a bit cheap and tacky. Proper, nice, metal buttons/dials would feel much more upmarket IMO.

Soldato
The Jags have buttons to control the stereo, air con and screen heating/demisting. The steering wheel has controls for the stereo volume, track and source. The only times I touch the screen is to browse the tracks on my ipod, set car settings (so rarely), change the seat heating/cooling and set the sat nav.

Soldato
My mondeo has buttons for the majority of functions, although it's all available on the touch screen also. Additionally, some of it is available via the two D-pads on the steering wheel.

Man of Honour
Go to the other end of the spectrum, and you have the Vauxhall Astra with its billions of buttons.

Think I might win this contest.

Vauxhall Omega with buttons for everything, sat nav, bose stereo, phone inc keypad!, heated seats, dual climate, cd multi changer, TC, alarm, boot release, hazards. All of that located on the stereo fascia.

Soldato
I will admit mucking about setting the climate on the prius is pretty damn dangerous but again that's my fault for not just setting it at 19c and leaving it on auto all the time.

Back
Top Bottom