Dead Dell 3008wfp

Associate
I was using my PC earlier when my display (Dell 3008wfp) just went dead, and now shows no signs of life. I have tried another known good power cable, but nothing.

A quick look around the web seems to indicate that Dell wont be of any help (as it is outside the warranty period and they don't offer a repair service). It also shows that the likely fault is with the power board.

Does anyone know of a repair service who might be able to take a look at my display and possibly fix it. I paid a grand for this display and until now it has been faultless, I would rather not have to drop another grand on a replacement.

Soldato
I would suggest you have a look on ebay for a new power board and fit it yourself.

Its only some screws to take it apart. Plenty of guides online.

Associate
This has happened to a lot of people including me, as one of the diodes used in the power supply is not up to snuff and will invariably fail. Replacing the power supply (if you could even find one - which no one can seem to) would only mean the same thing happens again when the diode in the new psu fails.

There is some good news though!

Good news is that with some patience (contrary to the above post getting this thing open is NOT easy, in fact probably the most irritating hour I have ever spent) and a £2 replacement diode (higher specced than the one that failed) and basic soldering skills you can get your screen up and running again yourself.

I have this very evening fixed my own 3008 and am so happy to have my screen back after dell told me in effect to bin a screen that I paid nearly a grand for, that I thought I should see if I can help anyone else with the same problem.

Place to start is this badcaps forum thread which is what I used to fix my screen:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14195

There is a LOT of info there, I recommend joining so that you can view the pictures people have posted which will help immensely.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself (it's not hard if you're decent with a soldering iron, but there are some bits that are bloody fiddly) then order the component and take it to a trusted repair person - should be very straightforward for them.

Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Nice post Banano. Going to see if I can find anyone handy with a soldering iron, as my own skills are not up to the task.

Associate
Glad I could help :)

btw, the replacement diode I used is this one:
http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectr...e-schottky-2x30a-170v/dp/1295334?Ntt=129-5334.

My 3008WFP went last night. Purchased from OCUK in June 2008, so out of warranty.

Have read the badcaps thread, so now will need to buy the part STPS60170CT.

Would be happier if there were some visual (video) info on how to take the monitor apart, but at least I now know how to solve the problem.

Never taken a monitor apart, but I guess there is a 1st time for everything.

Banano I have PM´d you on the off chance you might still have a spare one.

Associate
Unfortunately not, sent both spares on to Layte - maybe PM him to see if he's had any luck and can send the last one on to you?

Feel free though to drop me a line if you get stuck while dismantling the bugger and I shall try to help :)

Worst bit for me was the first step of getting the bezel off - you'll probably need several old credit cards and ideally a plastic spudger tool as well. Thin screwdrivers will work, but will cause damage to the plastic centre divider and probably the aluminium as well so be warned!

good luck!

Associate
Unfortunately not, sent both spares on to Layte - maybe PM him to see if he's had any luck and can send the last one on to you?

Feel free though to drop me a line if you get stuck while dismantling the bugger and I shall try to help :)

Worst bit for me was the first step of getting the bezel off - you'll probably need several old credit cards and ideally a plastic spudger tool as well. Thin screwdrivers will work, but will cause damage to the plastic centre divider and probably the aluminium as well so be warned!

good luck!

Thanks for letting me know and the offer of help if I need it.

I ordered the STPS60170CT part from Farnell´s along with some other bits.
Yep, I have my old Credit card and a Spudger tool at the ready for when the part arrives.

Will let you know how I get on.

Associate
Ok,

Bezel and chassis off. There is a lot of tape sticking down parts.

3.jpg

2.jpg

Can anyone recommend a suitable tape to use when putting everything back together or is it not necessary.

Last edited:
Associate
damn i have this monitor....i didn't know the power board had such issues. is it an inevitable failure due to lifetime of this diode or am i likely to just have to ride my luck?

Hopefully it will not effect you.
It is not that hard to fix once you get the part. I have taken the monitor apart now and am just waiting for Postman Pat to deliver the diode. The hardest part I have found so far is getting the bezel off.

Associate
Ok,

Bezel and chassis off. There is a lot of tape sticking down parts.

Can anyone recommend a suitable tape to use when putting everything back together or is it not necessary.

Not needed, any tape that didn't just fold back neatly I just discarded, which was most of it.

bemaniac : it's pretty likely, the guys who worked out the problem reckon the original diode is right on the edge of tolerance voltage-wise, therefore a few years of use and any slight degradation can cause it to fail. The one people are using to replace it is rated about 50v higher so once replaced shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom