Can I run SLI with this PSU?

Associate
Hey guys,

I have a ocz500mxsp psu and im guessing I cannot run 2 x GTX660 in sli with this one? I dont really need a second card as everything runs great with the one, but im considering slapping a second one in if my psu supports it.

thanks!

Soldato
It should be ok, considering GTX660 consume around 140W max and only use a single PCI-E 6pin each. But don't see the point unless you got a fast CPU to begin with, otherwise the SLI set up will get bottlenecked. Typically for for a 500W, you'd best use a single high-end card than two mid-range. Personally I wouldn't recommend stressing the PSU to 90%+...would be good if it had at least 20% headroom left.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing in my system is overclocked..Im not a huge games player, and everything runs really sweet on my single GTX its just a question I had been pondering ;)
If 1920 res, the GTX660 SLI should eat through pretty much everything you throw at it (unless you use SuperSampling in some games i.e. Sleeping Dogs extreme AA or Witcher 2 with UberSampling, which kill HUGE amount of frame rate) and manage constant 60fps. So whether or not you would be able to hold 60fps, it would be down to the CPU scaling next.

I think as long as you leave the GTX660s at stock, you should be able to overclock the CPU to reasonable level without issue even with your PSU. But of course, that would be depending on what CPU you are using.

Associate
OP
If 1920 res, the GTX660 SLI should eat through pretty much everything you throw at it (unless you use SuperSampling in some games i.e. Sleeping Dogs extreme AA or Witcher 2 with UberSampling, which kill HUGE amount of frame rate) and manage constant 60fps. So whether or not you would be able to hold 60fps, it would be down to the CPU scaling next.

I think as long as you leave the GTX660s at stock, you should be able to overclock the CPU to reasonable level without issue even with your PSU. But of course, that would be depending on what CPU you are using.

I have an i5 quad core of some description.. I dont plan on overclocking Im just interested in adding another GTX660 later down the line :cool:

Soldato
Leave the pair of GTX660 at stock clock, and then try to overclock the i5 to max stable on stock voltage. That is what I would do.

Also, make sure your "i5" is not one of those Dual-core "i5" from the 1st gen :p

Associate
OP
Leave the pair of GTX660 at stock clock, and then try to overclock the i5 to max stable on stock voltage. That is what I would do.

Also, make sure your "i5" is not one of those Dual-core "i5" from the 1st gen :p

Its a genuine Quad Core i5 750..I know its not the latest one but its still a fantastic CPU. I actually bought it as part of an OCUK overclocked bundle, but it always ran to hot so its running stock.

Back
Top Bottom