Asus Padfone

Soldato
Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/padfone-2-images-leak-out-ahead-official-announcement

yqb9H.jpg.png

ASUS has already sent out the invites for their October 16th event where they're expected to fully announce Padfone 2 in addition to the purported specs having already been leaked. Now, for those of you who simply couldn't wait to see the Padfone successor, we're now getting a look at the total package through some leaked images and an early video.

Keeping in line with the original Padfone experience, the handset is separate from the tablet and on it's own actually looks pretty nice. Needless to say, our main question of pricing of the tablet companion devices remains unanswered but at least now, we know what it should end up looking like. You can jump below to check out the video (Skip to 2 mins in) and gallery of images.

And starting at about 1:40 of this vid:

Looks quite promising. Just a few more days until it's officially announced!

Associate
Is there any point in waiting for this? Will it be 6 months before it reaches the UK, and will it even be available on carriers? :/

Might just get the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, even though this has the s4 pro, and will probably have a micro sd card slot too, which is what I find is a serious option decider when picking a phone for me.

LG Optimus G will take too long to come, unless it does in fact come by the end of next month, and it'll be a while until it gets the Jelly Bean update.

Might have to keep the phone for 2 years, think the Note 2 should suffice? I browse the web + watch videos + play the odd game and use various apps. The Note 2 is still fast, but the s4 pro is great, not sure that I'll notice the difference though + the removable battery + the standard full-day battery (3100)mah on the note 2 is great. I could just carry around a spare battery if I needed to + get a 64GB micro sd card to slot in.

Confused + need to decide soon, any ideas?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Asus has the right idea, ultimately most of us have the same OS on tablet and phone, and everything is more or less the same in terms of hardware e.g. SoC, radios blah blah, but having 1 device with that contains the SoC and all the interns then just plugin it into the tablet for a better screen and such seems great. Now we just need apps that scale properly.

Caporegime
Want
WANT
WANT

The one thing that stops me taking my touchpad out of the house is the lack of phone signal.Also the ddevice could have a huge battery as most of the device guts are in the phone.

So you can charge the phone from the tab as you use the tab!

This is an amazing idea!

Use the tab in the office and take the phone to lunch/meetings

Soldato
Want
WANT
WANT

The one thing that stops me taking my touchpad out of the house is the lack of phone signal.Also the ddevice could have a huge battery as most of the device guts are in the phone.

So you can charge the phone from the tab as you use the tab!

This is an amazing idea!

Use the tab in the office and take the phone to lunch/meetings

IT has nice specs, if the screen is good on the phone and tab that would be an amazing product.

Soldato
I'm just hoping it wasn't as bad as the first padfone, the battery was very small and the resolution was pretty weak compared to other phones during the time. The concept was nice but it didn't pack enough punch. Also not to mention market avaliability...

The Padfone 2 looks more promising but I'll wait for the announce date for more info on it before I make my decision.

Man of Honour
what exactly is better then padfone 1?

Vastly improved specs.

Better docking station and overall the whole system is lighter.

The phone on its own is a nice bit of kit imo, the docking idea could take off too.

Hopefully it'll get released soon.

Soldato
The Full Spec...

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-padfone-2-announced-quad-core-phonetablet-dockable-lte

PADFONE 2 SPECIFICATIONS
Networks
WCDMA 900/2100MHz
EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
LTE 800/1800/2600MHz
HSPA+ (DL: 21Mbit/s, 42Mbit/s (optional) / UL: 5.76Mbit/s)
LTE (DL: 100Mbit/s / UL: 50Mbit/s)
Operating system
Android 4.04 ICS (upgradeable to Jelly Bean shortly)
Processor
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (8064 + 9215m) quad-core Cortex A15 class (1.5GHz) with Adreno 320 graphics
Storage / memory
16GB / 32GB / 64GB eMMC Flash / 2GB LPDDR2 RAM
Color
Black / White
Connectivity
802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0 & NFC (mobile payment function is optional and by specific regions only)
3.5mm audio jack, Micro SIM
ASUS 13-pin dock connector (supports Micro-USB 2.0 & Mobile High-Definition Link for HDMI connection)
GPS
A-GPS & GLONASS
Display
4.7“ (1280 x 720) / 312ppi
Super IPS+ (550 nits)
Scratch-resistant Corning® Fit Glass with HCLR Film (anti-fingerprint coating)
Main camera
13MP BSI Sensor Sony Camera, f/2.4 Aperture,
five-element lens, auto focus with LED flash
Front camera
1.2MP
Other
G-sensor, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, gyro sensor, e-compass
Battery
2140mAh Li-Polymer (non-removable)
Talk time
Up to 16 hours with 3G (LTE under qualification testing)
Standby time
Up to 352 hours with 3G (LTE under qualification testing)
Browser
HTTP / Google browser / YouTube browser / Facebook / Google+
Messaging
SMS / MMS / email / IM
Video
Video Playback: MPEG4/H.264/H.263/WMV @ HD 1080p
Video Recording: MPEG4/H.263 @ HD 1080p / 60fps @ 720p
H.264 Video Decode @ 720p / Video Encode @1080p
H.264 / Ogg / Theora / MPEG4 / WMV / 3GP
Picture
JPEG / PNG / GIF / BMP
Audio
MP3 / WMA / 3GP / AAC / AAC+
Dimension
137.9 x 69 x 9mm
Weight
135g

PADFONE 2 STATION SPECIFICATIONS
Color
Black / White
Display
10.1“ (1280 x 800, WXGA), 149ppi
IPS with capacitive multi-touch
Scratch-resistant Corning® Fit Glass with HCLR Film (anti-fingerprint coating)
Camera
1MP front camera
13MP via PadFone 2 rear camera
Battery
19Wh (5000mAh)
Connectivity
3.5mm audio jack via PadFone 2
ASUS 13-pin dock connector (Micro-USB 2.0 Host)
External phone antenna
Wi-Fi & BT, GSM, WCDMA, & LTE receiver diversity
Audio
High-quality speaker with ASUS SonicMaster technology

All specifications are subject to change without notice and may differ from country to country.

Prices are - 32Gb €799 and 64Gb €899
dunno what that'll equate to in the UK if it gets released over here, especially after they Duty etc...

Still wouldn't mind one!! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice concept but proprietary charger is fail.

gsmarena_010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom