Are you happy with Youtube etc's video quality for game videos?

Permabanned
tbh yes im all for this . i upload at highest possible normally 60 fps 1080p but youtube then messes it up lowers and for certain games like racing for eg it can make it look laggy and so on :(

with better internet speeds coming through hopefully they can raise the bar a bit soon

Youtube will do its thing and the outcome of the video will only be 30fps

Soldato
Very good quality for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3YFV2XBeXY

I dont add anything annoying to my videos, just plain pure gameplay, no voice or music change.

If you say so....

57189695.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
When uploading game footage to youtube it gets mangled beyond belief compared to your local copy of the movie. In addition, youtube does not do 60fps video which is beneficial for some games.

Who gives a **** if it's beneficial, you're not PLAYING the video, you're watching it. Also, if you upload at a high enough resolution you'll exceed the 1080 setting.

Don't blame youtube, blame the uploader.

Soldato
Although that example was a fail, you can get high quality 1080p on youtube.

Downloading a gig large trailer isn't totally unheard of either, I did for Battlefield 3, it was a gameplay trailer on Caspian Border, it was stunning. So sometimes they do it!

Soldato
OP
So here is a case in point, I compared frames from the same videos uploaded in 720p to youtube (59MB) and the original file direct from ubisoft press at 720p (1GB), the difference is sometimes like night and day:

Youtube
vlcsnap-2012-10-15-00h30m25s23.png

Original
vlcsnap-2012-10-15-00h28m44s5.png

2x Youtube
zoom_01.png

2x Original
zoom_02.png

4x Youtube
zoom_03.png

4x Original
zoom_04.png

There's a few more if you want to check for yourself:
http://v4nt0m.com/bits/watchdogs_compare/?C=M;O=A

Best to download and open fullscreen and flick between the two.

Look at all that lost detail, It's just not good enough for me :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Online streaming services are fine for my needs in general, it isn't perfect but usually I'm only watching for walkthrough (guidance on how to tackle a particular section of a game) or amusement purposes. If I wanted to see impressive visuals, I'd play the game/demo.

There are a few vids I download if they are of particular interest, for example Quakeworld vids where you need 60fps and high quality to follow the fast action.

Soldato
So here is a case in point, I compared frames from the same videos uploaded in 720p to youtube (59MB) and the original file direct from ubisoft press at 720p (1GB), the difference is sometimes like night and day:

Look at all that lost detail, It's just not good enough for me :(

You're comparing a video, one at 59MB and another at 1GB and saying it looks better than the other. Could that be any more obvious?
You wouldn't say the same if they put the same (original quality) vid on youtube, it's the bitrate, not the player.

Associate
I'm pretty satisfied with YouTube's quality.

You can get some good quality video on there if you record using something like the Lagarith codec and then transcode the footage to x.264. 1 hour of footage at 1080P weighs in at around 1.7 - 2gb, which takes about an hour to upload to YouTube. The end result looks pretty decent.

I'm limited by the tools I have available, but I've found that encoding using Virtualdub/x.264 using high profile and Constant bit rate at 6000kbps results in much cleaner footage and smaller file size than, say, Windows Movie Maker 2012 h.264 output at 20,000kbps. The end result of which looks better once it's been processed b YouTube.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom