spec me - comfort + economy

MMD

MMD

Associate
Turning to the collective wisdom that is OCUK to see if you can persuade me which direction I should turn in..

Currently drive a Toyota Celica T-Sport. Whilst the economy is good for a 190bhp car (35mpg), it is really noisy on the road.

I now travel a lot for work (not every day, but long journeys when I do), so I am now on the look out for something more comfortable with better economy.

Absolute musts;
  • Budget = £11
  • Quiet at motorway speeds - I loved my old BMW E46 petrol because I turned up to work/meetings refreshed and could also talk on the phone without raising my voice. This is the benchmark for quietness, but would prefer better as I know its possible
  • 40+ mpg (petrol) / 50+ mpg (diesel)
  • Climate control
  • Comfortable - decent interior
  • Hatchback or compact style if possible, I don't have wife/kids/dogs to transport around and I don't play golf - so space is not important

Cars I don't want;
  • Civic = noisy
  • Focus = bland interior

Currently I am swaying towards an Audi A3 1.4 T FSI - ticks all of the boxes above. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Also thought about the Toyota Auris diesel - but have heard they are noisy at any speed.

Any pointers much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Golf? Same engine as the A3 but you will be able to get a better spec/younger model for the same budget.

If its comfort you're after though my personal opinion is get a saloon. Hatchbacks aren't what I would describe as overly pleasant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Remember bburago? Mine were always very quiet
bburago-logo1%255B1%255D.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The 1.4 tfsi in 120 form is a nice enough little engine tbh - not sure you'll find an A3 quieter than an e46 though, i've certainly never thought the A3 or Golf were especially quiet inside (though they're hardly rough and ready). Any reason for avoiding an A4 sized car? They're hardly any bigger than the A3 inside but a little more refined

Oh and I thought about making an £11 joke, but it's too early :p

Man of Honour
[*]Hatchback or compact style if possible, I don't have wife/kids/dogs to transport around and I don't play golf - so space is not important
[/LIST]

Buying a larger car isn't something you only for space. A larger car also gives you better comfort and less noise - they tend to be more refined. I do not play golf either nor do I transport anything around that I couldn't fit in an Audi A1 but I still value the additional refinement and comfort you get from larger cars.

Soldato
When I saw the title the first car that came into my head was a Skoda Superb, it is a shame an estate version isn't in budget as in my opinion is a fantastic looking car.

Failing that, and from owning one myself I love my Audi A4 (S-Line)

Back
Top Bottom