Damaged 2006 Macbook - Price to repair

Associate
Recently damaged an old Macbook and wondering if anybody can shed some light on possible repair costs.

1. Screen is damaged and will need replaced
2. Optical drive is on the way out discs jamming in it etc
3. Memory upgrade required currently 512 MB
4. Price to upgrade to latest version of operating system

I'm reckoning its possibly not worth repairing and upgrading but will be interested in the responses.

Soldato
I can't give you prices, but even if you're doing the work yourself it'll probably not be a huge amount cheaper than buying an identical replacement. I guess you might be able to spend less if you buy parts pulled from a working system, but to be honest, it's not worth it.

Soldato
the screen will be the main cost, can't remember which one it is in particular but it be pretty unique for the model.

I would forget about the dvd drive, as drives with apple firmware on them cost a hell lot more than oem drives. your be better off asking to put in a ssd in it instead.

IF that was my own laptop, I wouldn't bother with the repairs and set it up to run in clamshell mode using another k/m/v setup if I didn't need it to be portable.

Associate
OP
My thinking was along the same lines that it was going to be an uneconomical repair.

Might make a claim on the home insurance and see what their opinion is.

If not then I'll be looking into an alternative.

Associate
Based on the age of the macbook i wouldn't recommend repairing.

The only feasible way to obtain parts for older models that aren't covered via Apple Care is the bay. In this case you would be required to essentially purchase an entire machine to replace parts as individual parts are hard to come by.

Depending on your home insurance company they will either try to settle with a like-for-like replacement which is unlikely; again due to the age, or they will offer the equivalent value which is determined by their 'experts'.

Associate
Is it an A1181? If so (as mine is a 2006-era model) you will find it difficult to replace that screen. The A1181 is only worth repairing if it's simple - RAM, HDD, keyboard, etc. The DVD drive, screen and logic board are not economical to repair.

The 2006-era Macbooks are no longer supported at the Apple Store. Replacement parts will come second-hand or direct from California.

You can probably flog it on eBay for parts, as some similar models are useful for others seeking replacement bits.

Good luck.

Associate
i got a screen for 75 quid for my A1181 macbook a few years ago...
also i got 1000 pounds on home insurance a few months ago for the same laptop after i spilt water on it. The apple store wouldn't repair as it as it was 'vintage.' So my insurance found the cheapest 13 inch macbook on the apple store and gave me the money for one.

Associate
OP
Well the insurance got a call last week and they asked a few questions.

Week on and shiny new Macbook Pro arrives as a replacement.

So a good result all round.

Will need to look into getting the working but damaged Macbook on the Bay...

Back
Top Bottom