** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

Soldato
Universal launch universal and harry potter world, disney under pressure for a new direction buy star wars, allows for lage amounts of films to be made, allows them to open franchised theme parks all over the world now to compete also.
Good way to reinvent, and you dont have to get rid of mickey.

Films cant be worse than epi one to three, my worry is 'LUCAS WILL STAY ON AS A CREATIVE CONSULTANT'. Thats awful news, absolutely terrible news.

Soldato
It cost $220mil to make. That is a pretty good profit.

Well Gross numbers has loads of other costs you have to take into consideration. $220mn production costs aren't total costs. Loads of other slices are taken out of it.

Nevertheless Disney would have made a lot.

Man of Honour
I can't see it, Lucas always said the 9 films were Lukes story, which is why even in the expanded universe he gave rights to kill any main character except Luke. Luke is in his 60's in the latest set of books. If they went that far into the future they could get away with it.

I feel though they will roll these out so often they need to start again and it will make no one except 8 year olds happy. I feel we will get a pirates of the Caribbean experience from now on.

I don't mean restart the story. I jsut mean don't use old actors, restart the new films, with new actors. Absolutely no reason to use the old actors.

Also Gl had far more medlling in the books and characters than that.

Caporegime
Given the rich expanded universe and actual universe, you home that Disney can strike the right balance and produce some good films.

I'm pleased that Lucas isn't involved, I didn't think the 'new' Star Wars films were very good.

Disney have and will continue to make some brilliant films and some stinkers, hopefully, fingers crossed, given the depth and richness of the universe Disney can attract some top writers and directors and produce a top film :)

@whomever suggested Michael Bay? Really? I'd rather have Lucas back making more films.

I think Lucas has realised that this was the best course of action for all involved.

Man of Honour
I believe handling a franchise as big as star wars is something Disney are going to take too seriously to mess it up. They know how badly received the last set of films were. Even I can write out what made them bad.

Anyone working on them will probably consider it their duty not to mess this up again.

It's going to be awesome!

Soldato
Sorry my Michael Bay comment was a troll :p

I was serious about Whedon or Abrams though.

From the GL interview in the OP it looks like the next movie if not all 3 are planned out. He was talking about how they had been hiring writers already for some time.

Man of Honour
Well, if you thought Star Wars was pretty much milked dry before...

Just wait.

[edit]

Will also be interesting to see how they take on the cosplay people. George Lucas always had a good word about them as long as they didn't do it to make money. Lucas often used the local 501st troopers at openings and other events. I suspect Disney will be more restrictive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom