SETI@Home & Projects News Vol. 187 21st October to 29th October 2012

Soldato
OP
:o I badly wanted 2 x 690 but £1600 made me cry just thinking about it so decided on 3 x 7970 test the mileage with them if its garbage then will go with my first thought.

I cannot seem to get em running properly with optimised app, I fink I have garbled my options its been a long few days anyone care to lend a helping hand to a cruncher with single digit iq :confused:

Associate
Hi Guys

I have just joined OcUK team on seti@home and I am adding some machines but I can't get it to use more than 1 thread, I had a look around and made sure it says use 100% cpu in preferences done an update but still only 1, the machine it is running on has 8 threads.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Associate
Hi Guys

I have just joined OcUK team on seti@home and I am adding some machines but I can't get it to use more than 1 thread, I had a look around and made sure it says use 100% cpu in preferences done an update but still only 1, the machine it is running on has 8 threads.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Hello & welcome to Team 10:)
More info about your rig please. CPU?
Boinc.jpg

Do you have these settings? If you do then if you have an SB or IB do you have Turbo enabled?

Associate
Hello & welcome to Team 10:)
More info about your rig please. CPU?
Boinc.jpg

Do you have these settings? If you do then if you have an SB or IB do you have Turbo enabled?

Hi Pilgrim

Thanks, I just went to check my preferences and noticed it is now using 60-70% so not sure what I have done but it is working now.

I have 4 computers connected right now, although 2 of them are still waiting for work.

GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz [Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5]
(8 processors)

GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 3075 @ 2.66GHz [Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11]
(2 processors)

GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5550 @ 2.67GHz [Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5]
(8 processors)

GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz [Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9]
(8 processors)

I will add some more as and when I can :)

Associate
Hi Voicon - you should be using more than 60-70% unless there is a heat issue. Does task manger show all cores working? Or are just some running at 100%?

I had all cores working at varying levels, there were 5 tasks running at the time, 2 have completed and now there 3 tasks and it's using 37%.

There is no issue heat this is a server running in a airconditioned lab.

Soldato
OP
Am haveing great difficulties getting boinc/seti/optimised app running on 7970's. It will download astropulse tasks and for the first few it did them in 40 minutes or so now gpu useage flatlines and occasionally spikes upto 10-15%.
First thought was there is a problem with the gpu's, tested each one individually then started running milkyway as a test and they barrel along at 90% plus useage etc.
So am thinking I may have a setting in the optimised app set incorrectly, would you good peeps give this the once over and let me know if there is anything you think I could be doing?

Thanks in advance :)

If it makes a difference it s a 3930k oc to 4ghz and 3 x 7970's all at stock

Man of Honour
Make sure you are using SMP client not uniprocessor in your CPU slot

See figure 5 here http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide#ntoc10

Biffa, thats fah hes talking about Seti, I think...... ?

I am talking about Seti, I am using the BOINC manager.

DOH!

In that case I would check to see what the settings are on the Seti web site not on the client itself.

Its always best to leave the application client settings at default and manage your settings from the project site.

Back
Top Bottom