Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Some more XC in Africa ... guess that's why the there are more fast XC boys in SA than DH :D

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/14174_399209806815312_1184384058_n.jpg[/img*[/QUOTE]

That looks awesome like! well jealous. Bet the heat was a killer though, dehydration to the max lol.

Associate
Anyone recommend good tyres? Was looking at the maxxis Minions DH....

Specifically for a mixture really durable enough to endure downhill, heavy roots, rocks and jumps. But also decent for general xc type cycling. Cheers.

Associate
Right guys, i'm after some new tyres as my rear tyre is getting a bit worn.

I mostly ride XC (Llandegla, Cannock etc) so after some reading up I think i've decided on:

Front: Rubber Queen 2.2 Black Chilli
Rear: Mountain King II 2.4 Black Chilli, ProTection

I've heard that the tyres are different sizes so if I go for the sizes above they will look about the same size.

I'm not to confident in the wet mud, on wet rocks etc so would prefer the extra grip over speed so would the above be a good combination? If not, what would you all recommend?

Also where is the best place to order them from? And should I go for folding or beaded? (does it matter?)

Cheers

Soldato
i have the 2.2 RQ BC front and back
the 2.2 is pretty big for a 2.2
they are good on wet roots etc, not too bad in the mud (for a fat normal tyre)
they do give on the edge on wet berms etc if you push them (as most would)
only downside of them is that they are a bit draggy in the very dry but im far too lazy to have summer / winter tyres !

folding weighs less? also easier to get on/off and fold up for putting a spare in a bag etc
some tyres have better compounds of rubber on the folding ones than on the wire version as well (not sure if the wire ones are BC?)

found these for £22 each
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=Googlebase

Last edited:
Associate
Thats great, thanks for that.

So would you recommend the rubber queens front and back? Do you know how these compare to the mountain kings in terms of grip?

Also do the rubber queens only come in black chilli compound? Don't want to end up with non black chilli ones.

Soldato
I have Rubber Queens on my Intense (2.4 Front 2.2 Rear - 2.4 wouldn't fit on the rear).

They've been excellent in both the dry and the wet. People say they are a bit cumbersome in the dry but haven't really found them that bad!

Associate
Right I think i'm gonna hit the buy button on the BC rubber queens this afternoon unless anybody can offer a better alternative.

Cheers for your replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom