Attn GPU Folders

Man of Honour
Looks like the beta testing is still underway for the QRB WU's, so its worth setting your clients up to get them, all for the good of the team!

Here are some tips and tricks from our friends over at [H]ardforum:

If you are folding an nVidia GTX400 series or better video card, make sure you have your client set up to receive the quick return bonus (QRB) work units now in beta. You mainly need two things (3 with the v7 client):

1. A passkey - this is the same passkey you use for SMP work. I assume most of you have one already.

2. You need to set the beta flag. For the version 6.xx client, you just add -betateam to your shortcut to start the client. In v7, it is under the Configure button - Slots tab - Extra slot options. Add a new option, Name is client-type, Value is beta.

3. (v7 only) add another Extra slot option, Name is next-unit-percentage, Value is 100.

If you have any issues setting this up, please ask. The point value on these units (8057s) is very high, and other teams have taken advantage of them. We need to as well.

On my GTX470 the point value for a 8057 is 72K that means if I can get all the 470's on weebeastie folding a 8057 the full output would be:

CPU0: - 17K
GPU0: - 72K
Total: - 305K

Of course, now I've set it up I have one gpu with a 8057 and the others with 12K 8018 WUs.. but hey :)

That being said, these are beta team WU's and as such you can't get any help from Stanford for them or have any recourse if they set your PC on fire etc etc.

As to the ethics of the practice of doing beta WU's when not on the beta team I leave it to you individually to decide. :cool:

Soldato
before i add them i guess i need to move the selected from uniprocessor to gpu?

gpu index -1
open cl -1
cuda -1

i added the first slot then clicked ok then clicked add new slot again, then it showed 2 new slots then i clicked ok, save, correct no?

Associate
ozaudio: I'm also using the 7.2.9 client and didn't notice any problems setting this up (though time will tell...) You need to edit your existing GPU slots, don't add new ones. Add the two flags Mr Biffa posted up top for each GPU slot you have.

I don't think you should have any uniprocessor slots on your rig, just an SMP slot for your CPU and a GPU slot (or multiple GPU slots if you run more than one card).

I'm hoping to get some 8057 WU's by morning. Ethics.... wassat then? :D

Man of Honour
OP
overclocked? I've found I have to dial back to stock speeds to get 100% success rates on both the 8057 and the 8018's (High/Low WU's)

Associate
Not having much luck on my rigs. Both my 470s are getting 8018s and my 580s are getting 8044/8054.

Assume I can still use client-type advanced and max-packet-size big flags along with the beta flags on my GPU slots? Not sure if I'm just unlucky with my WUs or have set something up wrong.

Man of Honour
OP
No you should only have the two flags from the first post:

client-type: beta
next-unit-percentage: 100

The client-type: advanced will conflict

And you only get a 8057 sporadically, 8018 is the norm.

Associate
Cheers for the info Biffa. Got 2 rigs at home right now, can't have them running 24/7 but I'll do what I can.

Didn't have much luck with my 580 before on the V6 client, it always generated EUE's. v7 seems to be stable. Forgot the next-unit-percentage 100 flag on the clients so just amended that. Currently have an i7 920 + GTX 580 at stock and an i5 3570k + GTX 660 also at stock running where I can :)

Man of Honour
OP
More info here, especially about switching to the 2.22 gpu client for around 25-30% more PPD on Fermi cards.

FYI my 470's jumped from 63K PPD to near 100K just by changing to the 2.22 client from the 2.25 client.

Interesting to note a 580GTX class card can pull nearly 250K using the 2.22 client if hitting a good high stable overclock.

Unfortunately the Keplar cards (6* series) only work with the 2.25 client, so although yes you still get a great boost on those cards its still relatively small compared to a equivalent price or cheaper Fermi. For reference a 660Ti gets around 110K so the same as a stock 470

If you can overclock then you really start to see some returns.

Now this might not last for long, they may re-align the QRB or we just might be benefitting from the fact these are test WU's with only 900 atoms. But for now, lets catch some teams and leave some others in our dust because it won't be long before some other teams catch on and then we will all be even again.

Last edited:
Soldato
if only i got paid 2 months wages in one..... 3 x gtx 580 please and 1200watt psu

ive gone from wanting a £40 gpu in a q6600 to puting that on the bay... and having a 3570k with a mb to take 3 gpus, new case , gtx 560 , new psu

just swapped over to 2.22!

were i work theres some pretty big servers, maybe i should ask people i know in the operations room if theyll run folding while on shift!

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks Biffa. I've got one 8057 currently and my PPD has jumped from 60k to 250k. It was hovering around 185k last night with an 8057 before I changed to core 2.22 so it's certainly giving a good boost.

Glad I kept my 580s and haven't upgraded to 6 series yet :D

Back
Top Bottom