Would this be a stupid first bike?

Soldato
OP
Nah I doubt that's the same issue.

My guess is it actually reads 10.8 C but I can't tell from the picture.

If the temperature is ACTUALLY 108 C then he has a massive problem.

Reading around it appears normal to tick over at around 80-90. Surely 10 is way to cool? It wouldn't Have just passed an MOT surely if this was a problem? (unless it was repaired)

I'm slightly annoyed and concerned now, thought I found a bloody good one.

Last edited:
Soldato
My bike when ragged on a hot day doesn't usually go over 80 C.

I think the fan is set to turn on after 100 C to cool the rad down.

If the bike is idling at 108 C, I'd dread to think what happens when it's rode a few hundred miles on a sunny day....

EDIT:

The reason I suggested 10.8 C is because that'd be a normal temperature if the bike hadn't even been started and the ignition had just been turned on for the photo.

Also, I don't think they check engine oil/temperatures for an MOT.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My bike when ragged on a hot day doesn't usually go over 80 C.

I think the fan is set to turn on after 100 C to cool the rad down.

If the bike is idling at 108 C, I'd dread to think what happens when it's rode a few hundred miles on a sunny day....

EDIT:

The reason I suggested 10.8 C is because that'd be a normal temperature if the bike hadn't even been started and the ignition had just been turned on for the photo.

Also, I don't think they check engine oil/temperatures for an MOT.

Damnnnn it! Do you think they're delibaretely trying to sell a lemon or do you think they're oblivious to this?

To the guy who spotted and LOL'd... I owe you a pint! I'd never have noticed and would no doubt have bought the bike.

Soldato
I doubt there's anything wrong with it if I'm honest.

If it's truly reading 108 C then he probably took the picture after the bike was running on tick over for a considerable amount of time for some reason.

Bikes can get very hot idling if they're doing so for a long time. I just dunno why you'd leave a bike idling for long enough to reach 108 C....

Like I said, ask the guy and he'll probably give you a good answer. When you view the bike, ask to see it running and make a note of whether or not the temperature reads normal.

Soldato
OP

If it's truly reading 108 C then he probably took the picture after the bike was running on tick over for a considerable amount of time for some reason.

Bikes can get very hot idling if they're doing so for a long time. I just dunno why you'd leave a bike idling for long enough to reach 108 C....

Like I said, ask the guy and he'll probably give you a good answer. When you view the bike, ask to see it running and make a note of whether or not the temperature reads normal.

Will do, cheers!

They actually offered it to me for a few days to see if I liked it! They seem genuine and I'll definitely know if something's up when I ask about it.

What if there was an issue and it's now be been repaired? Something to worry about?

Soldato
It depends on what the issue was. If it was something major then I'd ask what caused it and for the receipt from whoever repaired it.

If it was something stupid like a dodgy connection then I wouldn't worry about.

At 15k miles I doubt anything massive is wrong with the bike, in fact like I said, I doubt anything at all will be wrong with the bike but it is something worth asking about.

If there was a massive fault with the bike getting too hot then the guy would have to be pretty stupid to then upload a photograph containing evidence of it onto his advert.

Associate
It does look like it's sat at around 1100rpm ticking over and it could have been running whilst he took all the other pictures too?

I know that when I come to a stop at a set of traffic lights for 30>60 seconds whilst out on a run it can easily shoot up to 100+ celcius then the fans kick in around 106 IIRC as 40-116 is classed as OK/normal operating temp according to the manual.
As soon as were moving again even at high revs the temp drops in to the 80s or even the 70s.
I have no idea what temp a cbr 600 should operate at but it may help explain what could be the reason.

Soldato

It wouldn't reach that high just by idling. 108'c is quite high unless he had been riding for a while before the pic was taken. Most likely too much oil as is a common occurrence with CBRs (owners being unsure how much to fill, common misconceptions etc)

Bike looks fine other than that, but just ask the seller why it's 108'c in the pic? Could literally just be that he had just been on the bike riding before it was taken :p

Soldato
Going to see it tomorrow, I'll ask. Anything to test or check regarding temperatures.
For my CBR, it gets toasty when idling if just left there, he's probably just left it sitting there and 108C isn't ridiculous for an idling bike even when the fan kicks in... however that should drop straight away once riding etc... and should never be that high if you're riding it... so keep an eye out. However leave it idiling when you see it and watch it climb. Check all around the exhaust for connections and holes, and check the down pipes if you can for leaks as well... just put your hand near them... as downpipes do rot as they're not stainless steal, only after markets ones will last and it's this kind of year that things like this will go. Check all lights and inidcators, dashboard lights etc, make sure they all work also... check for uneven wear on the tyres (one side more than others, could be a shock problem)... apart from that, a bikes a bike really so... good luck and let us all know. That one you're seeing was a possible when I was buying a CBR back in May, however I wanted the Carb model with the rounder front so I went 1999.

Soldato
OP
Well, just back from seeing it and decided to buy it.

It had a few scratches etc, full service history, MOTD and got all receipts with it.

He took £1700 for it. I let it idle for a wee while and it never reached anywhere near 108, they seemed genuine and was selling it due to a baby on route, so all looked good.

I'll get my instructor to look it over when I get it down the road and hopefully all is well. The guys 30 mins away at the moment.

Soldato
check for uneven wear on the tyres (one side more than others, could be a shock problem)...

Or that the rider has a "favourite" leaning side :D

Well, just back from seeing it and decided to buy it.

It had a few scratches etc, full service history, MOTD and got all receipts with it.

He took £1700 for it. I let it idle for a wee while and it never reached anywhere near 108, they seemed genuine and was selling it due to a baby on route, so all looked good.

I'll get my instructor to look it over when I get it down the road and hopefully all is well. The guys 30 mins away at the moment.

Nice one, get some pics up! :)

Soldato
OP
I gave him £100 to hold it for me. I wont have the cash until next week unfortunately. I can't wait to get it in the garage and start cleaning it up and polishing it. (my baby haha)

Got my test booked for 3rd October also.

I'll upload some pics of it when I get it down.

Soldato
Or that the rider has a "favourite" leaning side :D
That is true lol... however I was more along the lines of, I noticed when I bought my bike that the front wheel was a lot more uneven along the middle of the tyre as stupid as that sounds... when I checked, the suspension settings were set incorrectly on the top, alter them, and done 3k on the new tyres and all is well... I reckon the previous rider has been tinkering and not realised they need to be set the same or forgot or something then ridden the bike... must've been all over the shop...

Yeah get some piccies up man... ASAP... bet your well excited... tell ya what as well, what year is it again? As £1700 is a hell of a good price for one of them models... also ensure that the idling is around 1300rpm, these CBRs have a tendancy I think to be set too low... I know Haynes reccomends mine to be 1300-1400rpm on warm idle...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That is true lol... however I was more along the lines of, I noticed when I bought my bike that the front wheel was a lot more uneven along the middle of the tyre as stupid as that sounds... when I checked, the suspension settings were set incorrectly on the top, alter them, and done 3k on the new tyres and all is well... I reckon the previous rider has been tinkering and not realised they need to be set the same or forgot or something then ridden the bike... must've been all over the shop...

Yeah get some piccies up man... ASAP... bet your well excited... tell ya what as well, what year is it again? As £1700 is a hell of a good price for one of them models... also ensure that the idling is around 1300rpm, these CBRs have a tendancy I think to be set too low... I know Haynes reccomends mine to be 1300-1400rpm on warm idle...

I am pretty excited. It's an 01 in red and black. £1700 does appear to be a steal when looking around at other prices. There is a a few scuffs from a stand still drop and a 1 inch piece of plastic from the top fairing snapped off at the edge. Once I get the bike I'll take proper high res photos to show.

I didn't look at what it idled at, it sounded fine anyway, started first time and revved happily.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Could that exhaust be any bigger?. :p

Its been so long since ive had a standard exhaust on a bike ive forgotten how bloody weighty & over engineered they are, any way, nice bike, lose the can!. :D

Back
Top Bottom