Would this be a stupid first bike?

Soldato
I had a CBR600F, fantastic first bike, plenty of power if you need it and handling is fairly good.

They are mostly bullet proof, except the one I got... which developed a very loud ticking so I sold it and got a CBR600RR, this bike probably isn't best for a newbie!

Either the CBR600F or Thundercat will be good, they are pretty much identical anyway, you'll be happy with either.

Soldato
OP
I had a CBR600F, fantastic first bike, plenty of power if you need it and handling is fairly good.

They are mostly bullet proof, except the one I got... which developed a very loud ticking so I sold it and got a CBR600RR, this bike probably isn't best for a newbie!

Either the CBR600F or Thundercat will be good, they are pretty much identical anyway, you'll be happy with either.

Bit late. I've got it now.

Soldato
OP
Could that exhaust be any bigger?. :p

Its been so long since ive had a standard exhaust on a bike ive forgotten how bloody weighty & over engineered they are, any way, nice bike, lose the can!. :D

Haha. I agree, it is a bit ugly. Can you recommend a decent after market exhaust? What's the advantages anyway other than looks? I presume it sounds better?

Akrapovic pop up a lot. Worth the cash? I don't want to spend a fortune and then fall off the bike and damage a £500 exhaust.

Associate
I've heard RST are pretty cheap and nasty, quite a lot of people seem to complain it doesn't last long and it's worth spending the extra and keeping it a long time.

Any truth in this?

Can't comment on the suits but I have RST boots, bought in August 2010...zip broke in July 2011...they replaced them on a like for like basis the same month and now just over a year layer, the outer sole is splitting....

Associate
Haven't seen all the way through the thread but make sure the valve clearances are done/have been done. Chances are they will be ok (mine were on Thunderace) but mates ZX6r were all over the place. We decided to do them after the first engine killed itself thrumming along at 70ish on motorway.

Of course, he went and smashed the thing up after we'd done them, but at least the engine still worked, even if everything else was bent.

Soldato
OP
Haven't seen all the way through the thread but make sure the valve clearances are done/have been done. Chances are they will be ok (mine were on Thunderace) but mates ZX6r were all over the place. We decided to do them after the first engine killed itself thrumming along at 70ish on motorway.

Of course, he went and smashed the thing up after we'd done them, but at least the engine still worked, even if everything else was bent.

You have me worried now!

Surely I don't need to take this to a garage for this to be checked before I ride it?

It passed an MOT and sounds fine.

Associate
I think (off the top of my head) that ZX6r valve clearances need checking at 16k. You might have to do a bit of checking. That was for a G1/G2 (mates bike). Like I say, when we did his on the replacement engine they were all over the place, with gaps too big, too small, non existent.

It's not a big job (don't let a garage kid you otherwise) but you need someone with reasonable mechanical ability, a haynes manual and somewhere dry/out of the rain to do it.

Or just pay a garage. For peace of mind really.

And don't let a garage kid you that they don't need doing either. They were fine on my Thunderace (I think 1 or 2 were slightly out of tolerance out of 20, which was pretty good) but the Kwaks are usually screamer type/high rev engines and I can imagine they wear shims faster, prob same with all 600s. I dare say Honda might be the exception, but you pay extra for the name/build quality.

Ask the place you're getting it from if they've been done. If not, ask them to either check them or do a deal on getting them done, just for peace of mind.

Associate
Dunno why I thought it was a zx6r... maybe a case of threads crossed :)

Just done a quick google on cbr600 valve clearances. First link came up with a how to guide - it looks scarier than it is, but other posts mention that the CBRs are pretty good for valve clearances.

Just clicked back a page and seen the picture of the bike - looks clean and tidy for the price you paid :)

Save a couple of hundred quid for the clearances doing at some point anyway if I were you.

Soldato
And don't let a garage kid you that they don't need doing either. They were fine on my Thunderace (I think 1 or 2 were slightly out of tolerance out of 20, which was pretty good) but the Kwaks are usually screamer type/high rev engines and I can imagine they wear shims faster.

Shims do not wear or hardly enough to take into the equation.

Also a decent dealer will exchange for you,and you can have a jiggle about with what you have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom