money counting machines at Lloyds TSB

Associate
I remember going in to put my uni accomodation fees into my account, i then proceeded to watch the money counting machine cut/rip/screw up most of the £20 notes :|

Soldato
If they're gonna dispute the amount afterward then it's not their money yet is it? They should count it as requested by the person whose money it is.

And I'm really not sure the banks should be counting notes with machines in front of customers anyway. Tellers can learn to count notes pretty fast and quickly by hand which results in a far better interaction when there is a miscount on either side.

The bank I normally go to uses scales to weigh notes and counts by hand if there's an anomaly.

Associate
Just change banks to be honest. I used to work at Barclays and we would always at least flick through each bundle of notes and you normally get a feel for the weight as to whether it is a full bundle or not. In fact after a while you can tell if a bag of 2p coins is right or not before you check on the machine. If you take it to another cashier they'll probably be more courteous, so maybe try a different branch or otherwise change banks entirely.

Associate
OP
this now seems to be the most obvious answer tbh

On the second occasion I did suspect this, but on the third occasion where I could see the only £5 note going in, which then disappeared when the money came out...No

I know that nobody can ever be certain. Which is why I do not trust the machine. But based on the 4 occasions, I know that I was right in at least 2 of the 4 occasions, and managed to retrieve my money from 1 of them.

Caporegime
I've had no issues with the self service machines in halifax that let you put your own piles of notes in.

the largest sum ive put in was only around £400 in 20 notes but they were all brand new notes that almost stuck together yet the machine seperated and counted them correctly

Associate
Lloyds counting machines

You definitely aren't the only one. These machines have come into my local lloyds as well and they are useless. I have a business account for a pub and they are a nightmare. My husband went to deposit nearly £6000 yesterday and the machine said he it was £1100 short. How could you mess up £1100??? We have never been out more than £20 ever. So we had to leave saying we would be phoned when they cashed up. No phone call at all. I'm going to be raising hell today. I will be insisting on hand counting 100% or I definitely will be taking my business elsewhere. What a ridiculous thing having to leave on the possibility that £1100 is unaccounted for its absurd.

Soldato
Their entire computer system crashed on NYE too.

Tried to pay for something by card in Sainsburys - declined.

Called up to check balance (should have been over £700 in there) "sorry your call cannot be taken at the moment"

Tried to take cash out of machine - "cannot provide that service at the moment"

Went into the branch - "yeah, sorry about that, all of our computer systems have gone down" :p

Back
Top Bottom