Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I am feeling left out! ;)

More seriously there is quite a few Porsche owners now on this forum, so lets see them and hear about the good times and the bad times. :)

Mines in my sig! I have some new toys arriving for it soon.

Soldato
Went right off mine when the timing chain let go and left me with a £5k engine rebuild bill. However that Boxster was the best driver's car I ever owned.

Soldato
Went right off mine when the timing chain let go and left me with a £5k engine rebuild bill. However that Boxster was the best driver's car I ever owned.

I have a friend with a 911 Turbo 996, meant to be super reliable, apparently had an over rev, damadging the timing chain, which then broke, killing the engine. £20k or £25ish I think Porsche charged him for the privlidge.

Soldato
Proud 911 owner here :D

2003 996 Targa Tiptronic, 3.6 with approximately 320hp in Polar Silver.

Had it for 15 months now, and still enjoying it, and few plans for next year for it but only minor.

Gratuitous Image of it.

house.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
A purchase for mine:-

680687d1353175770-pirelli-corsa-system-n1-perfect-and-near-new-in-uk-p1050092-resized.jpg

Some R compound Pirelli Corsa's, got them nearly half price so could not pass on them. Shall fit next year when warms up, can't wait to go on track, been in a GT3 on these driving down through craners at 125mph, I won't try same but looking forward to getting these boots on next year. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Not an owner, but my dad recently got one in the States.

second hand prices are very reasonable there, car is nice to drive but not my cup of tea.

a mixture of tyres that could do with replacing and the fact there are no corners made it quite dull to drive unless at high speed and the cops are not understanding there.
especially if you have a german sports car.

didnt feel that much faster than my civic in honesty but driving around in straight lines is hard to get a feel for a car.

i would have loved to try one without the button gear changes on the face of the wheel as in my honest opinion, they felt like a total hindrance but were the only way to drive the car and have any control over the way the engine responded to your input.

on uk roads, i would imagine a manual variant to be far more exciting [i did tell my dad to buy something with a v8 several times] but in the states? the boxster wasnt for me sadly and i had arguably more fun driving his X5.

heres a video of me driving it, not very interesting in honesty but gives you the sounds etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQDUGBuGOug&feature=youtube_gdata

Associate

second hand prices are very reasonable there, car is nice to drive but not my cup of tea.

a mixture of tyres that could do with replacing and the fact there are no corners made it quite dull to drive unless at high speed and the cops are not understanding there.

didnt feel that much faster than my civic in honesty but driving around in straight lines is hard to get a feel for a car.

i would have loved to try one without the button gear changes on the face of the wheel as in my honest opinion, they felt like a total hindrance but were the only way to drive the car and have any control over the way the engine responded to your input.

on uk roads, i would imagine a manual variant to be far more exciting [i did tell my dad to buy something with a v8 several times] but in the states? the boxster wasnt for me sadly and i had arguably more fun driving his X5.

I found a PDK hire car (though it was a non-S), lacked the excitement of the manual. I had it for 3 weeks aswell, so had time to get used to the box, but as good as the system is, im not sure i'd get it on my next car. It does take something away from the driving experience.

OcUK Staff
OP

I have to admit the buttons on the steering wheel that Porsche do just make the car dull, I hated it on the 2.9dfi Boxster I drove, just removes all interaction and makes what is a great car feel dull. What year was your Dads Boxster, as it may have been a tiptronic too which I hate. PDK is ok with the Sports steering wheel with paddles and sports+ mode, that's more interactive. But give me a manual anyday. The new 981 Boxster I drove was mind boggling quick, practically as quick and a match in handling if not better with just as much grip as my 911.

Your like me you like your driving experience to be raw and an auto Boxster with steering wheel buttons is simply not exciting enough. But Porsche design their cars to be very customisable to fit a wide range of customer needs, hence their success. :)

Their manual boxes are nothing short of epic too, like a rifle bolt. :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
also, saw this the other day on national geographic.

was very interesting.

they also have one about the new pagani which is just mindblowing.

*edit, i dont think that video above is the right one, heres a link to the show i watched, cant find a YT link sadly :(
http://natgeotv.com/uk/supercars/about

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
My folks had a 2004 996 C4S for a couple of years, was a daily drive doing 12-15k a year with no problems at all bar the light switch failing which was £80 for the part and 20 mins max for me to fit it.

They got rid of it through a friend who owns a local garage about 6 months ago or so.

Whilst step dad was out with the garage chap he said that the new owner had taken it to the Porsche dealer the other week where he was told there's some problem and it needs a new engine, £7-8ks worth of work!

Played that one well, as said it was fine during their ownership and never had anything flagged up by the dealer at service time so wonder if it was an old problem that finally did it in or if new owner stuffed it up.

Back
Top Bottom