Rad Thickness

Associate
Yo guys was wondering if anyone could tell me the thickness of the rad in the XSPC RayStorm 750 RS360 WaterCooling Kit please as i want to make sure it will fit in the roof of my Bitfenix Shinobi XL With ample room for the motherboard to fit also would like a dual loop for my GPU and would need another rad in the front but do not know what thickness i could get away with.

CPU: Intel I5 3570K
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 670 2GB

Thanks in advanced guys

P.S I know i have posted something similar a few times but only becasue i want to be dead certain that what im going to get will all work together as i am new to watercooling and this will be my first attempt :)

Associate
that is a 35mm thick rad which is pretty thin as rads go. If that doesn't fit then I don't know what would! Worth noting that being a thinner rad you will need higher RPM fans to get the best out of it, not that it is a poor performer on low speed fans either.

Soldato
that is a 35mm thick rad which is pretty thin as rads go. If that doesn't fit then I don't know what would! Worth noting that being a thinner rad you will need higher RPM fans to get the best out of it, not that it is a poor performer on low speed fans either.

35mm rads aren't all that thin, they are about average since you can still get 25mm ones.

Associate
OP
The fans I will be using are the corsair sp120 high performance editions and go up to 2350 RPM I don't know if I can get away with push pull on the rad in the roof so going for the single set of fans so all in all the size of the rad would be like 60mm thick that is if my mesurememts are right as I am terrible with measurments any ideas in the size of the rad I can get in the front of the shinobi XL?

Also thanks for the replies so far guys it helps a lot :)

Associate
Having checked a review on the old youtube, that case is massive!
It may be worth having a look to see if you can remove the top panel and see what (if any) space you have there to mount 2 slinline fans between the outer shell & the top panel, if not, how would you feel about installing 2 fans on the top and fabricating a shroud to fit round them hiding the nasty 'Side view' of the fans?
That would do your push pull requirements.
Alternatively, you could aim for a stealth rad (danger den & HWlabs do nice ones with 4 stealth (slimline) fans (Scythe do them @ 2000rpm @ 12mm thick), as the thickness of 4 fans and a slim rad should be no more than a normal 35mm rad+fan.
Also look at getting some fan seals, the rubber square fitting to go between the fan & the rad, these help a fair bit with preventing lost airflow :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for that info there Stalker i think i will try the slimline rad and slimline fans so i can have push pull as im terrible at making stuff and a fan shroud would be a disaster trust me lmfao :) Also what size fans would i use? thanks

Last edited:
Associate
The barbs on the stealth rads from HWlabs are 1/4" can i use 1/2" hose for them becasue i cant find 1/4" hose Thanks again for all your help guys

Hi, looking at that rad in OCUK, it doesnt come with barbs.
It mentions the threads are G1/4, so this basically means the barbs you buy, must have a G1/4 thread, so, you can take your pick of hose & barb :)

Associate
Also, from my experience and others (google) push/pull fans doesn't give that much improvement over just push or pull depending on FPI. I have a 240 XSPC with push/pull and a Hardware labs SR1 (420) with just 140mm push, i almost always have the 240 on pull as with both sets of fans i get about 1c lower temps but about 10% more noise..

If its your only rad and you have space then why not use push/pull, but its not a dramatic difference vs price.

Associate
In my experience, Push Pull configs allow you to run the fans at lower speeds yet still obtain the same level of cooling as 2x 120mm fans at high rpm.
I have a 240mm rad mounted outside my case, 2 120mm fans are inside the case holding the rad on and 2 120mm fans are outside, these run at minimum rpm.
I dont think there is very much evidence to support either claim of 'Benefit vs no Benefit' but to be fair, its personal preference!
Base your choice on the options you have available to you and what you want!

Associate
Yeah exactly, end of the day it's your computer to run to your specifications. I do have a large 420 rad with 3 140 fans on at low speed and that drops temp 7c and over it having no fans on, so only having the two 120s on a low speed.

It's interesting when I turn all fans off it idles at about 35c so with fans on I drop about 10/13c degrees typically.

Back
Top Bottom