Is CoD Black Ops2 suitable for my 12 yo son?

Soldato
The single player campaign has some fairly graphic scenes:

- Opening scene where a man burns to death and cannot be saved in time. You see the flesh on his face and body start to blister and burn before your eyes.

- Missions using a machete where yu chop off peoples heads.

- Various cut scenes with people being stabbed in the neck

- Cut scene where a guy gets shot in the face

- Interrogation scenes

- Head shots and assasinations of people

- Torture, including a man shot in both knee caps with a shotgun (you see the bare bone and inards of his legs exposed) and then he is slashed int he neck until he bleeds out.

- You see a container full of dead people that have been rotting for weeks.

- etc etc. It's pretty graphic. It's basically like watching an 18 film and the swearing is basically every single cut scene. The swearing content is huge in CODBO2.

You can turn the language and some of the graphic content off though and to be fair it does a good job of this with less blood I believe from the little bit I watched, and presumably it filters entire sections of cutscenes where it is very graphic.

Associate
i wouldnt get it for him, the very first thing you see when you start the first mission is a close up of a screaming man being burnt alive.

Associate
NO!

It's an 18, there's no question about it !! :eek:

What's wrong with people these days man!
It makes me sick hearing the little kids on there these days. Their language is more disgraceful than the adults'

Associate
Well I personally would. But then again I was watching movies like predator, terminator, reservoir dogs and chubby brown at age of like 8. And playing games like thrill kill ps1 along with other hack n slash. Done me no harm what so ever lol. I learned far worse language and things in school then I ever did via computer games or movies.

Soldato
I don't see a problem with it as long as your lad is of healthy mind and is able to distinguish between reality and a game. As mentioned above though there is a slightly less violent etc setting

Soldato
can't you turn on the parental controls on his xbox ? forcing the game to the non blood mode and also so he can't hear any one thats not on his friends list if he plays online ?

i dont know how it works in regards to actually allowing you to play the game but im sure you will be able to allow access to it or something

Caporegime
Depends what part of the game.

I play combat training split screen with my 9 year old. I wouldn't dream of letting him loose on Xbox live and as already said most if what got the game an 18 rating is in single player so we just stick to combat training

Soldato
My 9 (nearly 10) year old wanted to play Black Ops on the Wii. It's rated 18, but I was confused why. So I've watched him playing it to try and make sure it's OK for him. Now he generally plays the zombie games, and I have no idea why it's an 18!

It seems bonkers, because what do you rate a game where this really is strong violence and language, if you're already using 18 on games like this?

I play combat training split screen with my 9 year old. I wouldn't dream of letting him loose on Xbox live
Why? Language?

Last edited:
Soldato
Swearing, people getting shot through the neck, axes in head etc etc.

And that's just my two boys fighting each other let alone playing on the xbox! :p

can't you turn on the parental controls on his xbox ? forcing the game to the non blood mode and also so he can't hear any one thats not on his friends list if he plays online ?

Yes, that's exactly what I do.

Depends what part of the game.

I play combat training split screen with my 9 year old. I wouldn't dream of letting him loose on Xbox live and as already said most if what got the game an 18 rating is in single player so we just stick to combat training

You set the comms preferences to friends only, job done. My two sons play on Live fine and can only talk to their school friends.

Back
Top Bottom