Things to do in Edinburgh for a romantic christmas get away

Associate
Me and a "friend" are going to Edinburgh for a few nights mid December and I was interested to see if anyone had any recommendations of things to do/see while we are there as I have never been before.

Associate
OP
hehe think more of trying to seal the deal ;)

There is the obvious stuff we want to do like go to the sea, castle etc but I was trying to think of the little gems that you wouldn't normally hear of.

Commissario
Go to the deli in Cockburn street and sample the haggis samosas.

/edit - I may have said the same thing in this recent thread, which may give you some more ideas.

Last edited:
Associate
* Walk up Calton Hill at night - not too late though, you might not want to be stabbed or bummed, maybe you do, I don't know.
* Visit Mary Kings Close.
* If you like the sea maybe go out to Yellowcraigs beach rather than Portobello, you'll see Fidra Island which the Treasure Island map was based on.
* Go to the Dominon cinema - the best cinema I've ever been to.
* German Markets - worth a wander.
* Ice skating in the gardens.
* Lots on over Xmas period so check out what events are on.

Soldato
Visit Camera Obscura, we had a great time there

http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/

Our Guarantees:
We guarantee your visit - if you feel it is not up to your expectations we will refund your admission ticket - no quibbles! 99% of visitor feedback is glowing, but if you feel differently we want to know why so that we can do something about it. The attraction is fantastic fun for all ages, all weathers, so come and enjoy!
Lastly we guarantee that we are here for you, 100%. We want you to have an excellent time with us, every second you are with us, and we will do everything we can for this to happen.

Last edited:

noj

noj

Associate
My wife and I went to Edinburgh for a few days...loved it.

Hotel wise we stayed at the Tigerlilly, its one of those boutique hotels but good value for money and amazing service and rooms/restaurant.

Stuff to do -
Mary Kings Close was good, something a bit different and really interesting to learn more about Edinburgh
The bus tours are also pretty good (and a cheap way to get around - well depending on how much you use them)
The botanic garden was ok, but might not be much to see in December
Shopping.....
Castle

If you're flying in get the bus from the airport...think it was city centre express? big blue bus. Much cheaper than a taxi

Associate
National Museum
National Art Galleries
Camera Obscura
The Kitchin or Castle Terrace for a top scran
Something like the Ghost & Torture or Mercat tour to get a bit of the history of the city

Last edited:
Soldato
Ice skating should be up and running along side the Christmas market, take her at night, skate round hand in hand then some mulled wine whilst you gaze lovingly into her eyes. Job done, she'll be skating with her pants round her ankles.

Back
Top Bottom