Road kill - would you?

Associate
So I was driving home down a road not often used and spot what looks to be a dead pheasant in the road. It doesn't look too badly mashed up at all, maybe just a broken neck by the looks of it as I drove past. It can only have been there for a couple of hours as it wasn't there earlier.

Now I've just got home I am sorry I didn't grab it (but had no plastic bags at hand - there was some blood).

I was just thinking this could make a fine free range Xmas dinner to serve up to my relatives. I'm not a fan of turkey and could save a few bob. They'd think I had gone right posh like - until I tell them it was road kill after they've scoffed it!

I've got to go back passed it again in an hour so may grab it. Not sure about plucking, gutting, beheading and de-legging etc. Any tips? Also how long do you hang them for? Never eaten pheasant before.

Now if you were feeling a bit peckish would you be game for some road kill pheasant? :eek:

Soldato
go for it man. these are desperate times, and it'd make some crackin' predrink banter! oh by the way, the pheasant died by the hands of my ford focus. u sure you didn't just knock it down yourself and it's in your bath waiting?

Associate
You can't pick one up that you've knocked down but if you come across one that's already met its maker then you can take it.

Permabanned
I've picked/scraped up pheasants and deer and had them for dinner many times.

Living in the country, my view is OM NOM NOM NOM :D

Caporegime
Come From a Norfolk farmiily ing family me.

I would eat some that I had hit but dunno about if it was someone else that I hadn't seen (diseased animal etc)
I wouldn't be able to gut it myself. But could easily see to that
Unfortunately I don't like game meat

Tbh I think it's much better than a slaughtered animal. It's had a naturallife and eaten a variety of wild foods . It's the same way free range eggs taste better

Soldato
Regularly see pheasant and rabbit roadkill out our way. Always tempted to pull over and scoop 'em up, but it's quite a busy country road and don't want to look like a total weirdo.

Back
Top Bottom