*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
So why is one listed on the Direct.gov web page I linked to then... I don't understand...

It doesn't saying anything about CBT requiring a theory. All it's saying is to ride a moped at 16 will a full licence you will require a CBT, Theory and Practical, same as you need when you turn 17 and want a full licence.

Associate
What's changing in January 2013 then?

The CBT and theory test remains the same as they are now.

At the moment there are two options. After 2013 it gets more complicated.

Now
Restricted Access (if you're under 21) - Do your test on a 125 and then you're limited to 33 bhp for two years, after which you're upgraded to a full licence.
Direct Access (over 21) - Do your test on a bike over 46.6 bhp and you get a full licence immediately.

A1: At 17, you can pass your practical test and you'll be limited to 17kW and 125cc. There's no automatic upgrade with the tests now. The only way of upgrading is to do further tests.
A2: At 19, you can pass a practical test which will limit you to 35kW.
A: At 24 (or 21 if you have more than two years experience on an A2 motorcycle), you can pass a practical test which will give you a full licence.

Soldato
CBT is basicly off road training first, by that i mean in a school playground or something similar to that size wise, where they will teach you how to handle moped/bike, moving off, breaking, emergency braking, turning and so on. This usually last a few hours depending on how many people are doing the cbt and how well everyone progresses.

After the initial training above you then go onto the roads, where the instructor will see how well you handle the open roads, they will ofcourse talk you through this before heading out, you will have an instructor in your ear telling which route to go (its only 1 way comms though).

Thats it basicly, generally takes half a day, one thing I would say is don't be scared to ask any questions to the instructor/s. They are there to help you through it.

Soldato
If you've ridden a bicycle you'll have no problem with a CBT. I went in at 8am, came back out at 11am with my certificate.

If you're doing it on a moped/scooter (without gears) they won't teach you about gears. So bear this in mind when you go from a scooter to a geared bike. I had previous quad bike experience which helped, but watch a few youtube videos and you'll be fine.

Associate
Looking to do my CBT soon as I've applied for a job and should be starting in a few weeks but the times are too awkward for public transport. At the time I applied my friend was working there too and I could've been given a lift.

Anyway! I'm a little confused about this theory thing. I don't have any kind of licence, I'll be applying for my provisional asap. From what I've read here I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to do a theory test but in the companies FAQ that I plan on doing my CBT with it says: Do I need to take the Theory Test?

You will need to pass a Theory Test before taking a practical test for a moped or motorcycle, unless you have passed a moped test since 1 July 1996.

Also still a little confused about direct access, is it considered the better option for people wanting no restrictions than the mod1 and 2 route?

Also choosing a bike, I'm pretty confused about which bike to go with to be honest. At first I was looking at the CBR125R but after reading some threads on other forums saying that the CBR125R was pretending to be something it wasn't and the higher price it'd be better getting a YBR125 instead.

Money definitely is an issue at the moment when choosing a bike as I haven't started work and I'm relying on family to fund all of this. Would the best option be to buy a second hand YBR125, do CBT and after working for a bit try to do my Direct Access and move onto a 500cc (Also read in other forums that they often have lower insurance)

Anyway, I'm pretty confused, helps appreciated.

Ta.

Associate
Anyway! I'm a little confused about this theory thing. I don't have any kind of licence, I'll be applying for my provisional asap. From what I've read here I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to do a theory test but in the companies FAQ that I plan on doing my CBT with it says: Do I need to take the Theory Test?

You will need to pass a Theory Test before taking a practical test for a moped or motorcycle, unless you have passed a moped test since 1 July 1996.

CBT is not a practical test, it's a basic training session. You don't need a theory test to do a CBT. I did my theory test after my CBT.

Also still a little confused about direct access, is it considered the better option for people wanting no restrictions than the mod1 and 2 route?

Mod1 and Mod2 are the two parts of the test - you'll have to take both whichever option you choose. Direct Access just means that you'll be doing it on a >500cc bike and you'll be allowed to ride any bike afterwards. Restricted access means that you take the test on a 125cc bike and you have a two year restriction, during which you can only ride bikes with 33bhp or less.

Also choosing a bike, I'm pretty confused about which bike to go with to be honest. At first I was looking at the CBR125R but after reading some threads on other forums saying that the CBR125R was pretending to be something it wasn't and the higher price it'd be better getting a YBR125 instead.

Money definitely is an issue at the moment when choosing a bike as I haven't started work and I'm relying on family to fund all of this. Would the best option be to buy a second hand YBR125, do CBT and after working for a bit try to do my Direct Access and move onto a 500cc (Also read in other forums that they often have lower insurance)

I got a YBR125. It was a good little bike and I rode that for probably 7-8 months before doing my test (direct access) and moving up to a bigger bike. I'd thoroughly recommend this route as the YBR is very forgiving and I learnt a lot on it. I'm not very good under pressure so I wanted to be 100% comfortable with the YBR before moving on, i.e. the bike had become the limiting factor rather than my riding. Another great thing about the YBR is that it's very cheap to run. I was getting over 90mpg from it and the tax was only £15 a year (this might have gone up a pound or so in the mean time).

Associate
A1: At 17, you can pass your practical test and you'll be limited to 17kW and 125cc. There's no automatic upgrade with the tests now. The only way of upgrading is to do further tests.
A: At 24 (or 21 if you have more than two years experience on an A2 motorcycle), you can pass a practical test which will give you a full licence.

At 24, will this still be power restricted for two years after you pass? Or have I misunderstood how it works?
I'm 32 and thinking of waiting until Spring to start biking. I'm just wondering whether it's worthwhile actually buying a 125 or doing DAS straight away...

Last edited:
Associate
At 24, will this still be power restricted for two years after you pass? Or have I misunderstood how it works?
I'm 32 and thinking of waiting until Spring to start biking. I'm just wondering whether it's worthwhile actually buying a 125 or doing DAS straight away...

As long as you do your test on a powerful enough bike there will be no restrictions and you'll be able to go out and buy whatever you like.

I bought a 125 to practice on. I found it helped a lot, but then I'm not very good under pressure so getting completely comfortable on a 125 helped my confidence. Going to a 500 was fairly easy after that as a learner 500 is like a bigger 125 that's slightly better in pretty much every area. At the end of the day, it's up to you. There's no right or wrong answer.

Soldato

The DAS Test next year has to be taken on a 600cc bike (currently its 500cc) for it to count, doubt they will let you sit a DAS test with a lower power bike and would tell you to go for one of the other tests. But that won't be an issue as most use training school bikes for DAS tests, and these will be powerful enough. I know my local school is in the process of swapping all there current DAS bikes over to 600cc's.

Passing the DAS will allow you to ride whatever power bike you like, the restriction thing is for those 21+ with relevant experience. Basicly ignore the 21+ thing, the relevant info for you at your age is it will be a totally unrestricted license if you pass.

About the getting a 125 and getting used to that, some do that route (i currently am) others just go straight for the big test, its all down to confidence and personal choice really. Only you can decide that one.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
I don't own a bike but thinking of doing the full bike test in prep of getting one, is this a good idea? I currently hold a full driving licence and have passed my HGV about 9 months ago, I'm 29.

Soldato
That's my CBT done this morning, although I really lost the plot on the yard the first time round so was asked to come back another time, forgetting my paper counterpart license didn't help. Came back with a much better attitude and whole thing wrapped up in barely 90 minutes :D

Associate
I'd heard a rumour that Test centres would 'honour' your MOD1 if you completed it before Jan 19 and pass you under the old rules if you did your MOD2 after that date. Talked to my examiner last week after Mod1* who told me this is not the case. Which sucks, but is logical.

Being 21-24 I wouldn't mind being restricted for 2 years so much, but I'm not being forced to take yet another test if I can avoid it!

*1 fault for being a wuss and too slow on the hazard avoidance. Considering I flapped out of the bend, and as my instructor put it - "decided to play billiards with the cone" at 30mph last time, I'll take that.

Associate

Bike magazine have a news feature on the new 2013 changes - couple of extra points they make - I'll copy their table here as best I can:

Code:
** AGE **    **  Licence **        ** Restriction **
16           AM                    50cc, 28 mph (All existing 31mph mopeds EXCLUDED)
17-18        A1                    125cc, 15bhp
19-23        A2                    Any cc, max power 47bhp (if restricted, not from 
                                   a bike with more than 94bhp as standard). 
                                   Power-to-weight ratio of 0.268bhp/kg
24+          A                     None
(or 21 with 2 years A2)

I can see that having quite an impact on 2nd hand bike prices with lots of bikes suddenly unsuitable for their intended audiences

Back
Top Bottom