vertex 2 ssd failure

Associate
just had a . complete failure of a vertex 2 solid red light apparently a common problem its around 6 months old so im pretty ****ed iv no pc right now gonna uhh ave to buy a new hdd just before crimbo. the question is do i go ssd again or go back to mechanical ? are the vertexes just junk or are ssds unreliable ?
pretty ****ed as santa has already stole a big sack full of my cash couldnt come at a worse time any suggestions of hdds would be good thanks

Soldato
SandForce is the culprit, OCZ sold a lot of them so people assume its their fault. The drive will be covered by warranty and I assume you regularly backup your files so it shouldn't be that much of a pain?

Soldato
If a little slow.

Built a rig last week with a Samsung 840, it's blisteringly fast.

For all intents and purposes, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 830, 840 or a M4.

Personally I went for a 830, my mate went for a 840 (both 256GBs).

Still can't tell the difference booting from either my X25-M or my 830!!

Associate
For all intents and purposes, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 830, 840 or a M4.

Personally I went for a 830, my mate went for a 840 (both 256GBs).

Still can't tell the difference booting from either my X25-M or my 830!!

So true! If I could get a cheap X25-M with not many hours of use I would take it without questions. Extremelly reliable SSD's.
Reliability should be the first thing you look for an SSD as speed differences is almost impossible to see at everyday use.

Associate
I had a vertex 2 fail on me too seems it was an issue with the system going into standby and the drive not "waking up" correctly.

I had it replaced under warranty and since then not allowed my base to sleep and thus far not had any issues.

But my 120GB is rather full might have to consider upgrading to something more reliable and faster soon.

Soldato
Another one bites the dust, bad luck. I would stick with an SSD but use another brand.

Agreed. My vertex 2e SSD has been going for over 2 years of heavy use and hasn't slowed down at all. I think it's just bad luck, but I could never go back to mech HDD. I may have to upgrade my boot drive to a SATA3 drive to see if it makes a difference.

Associate
If any OCZ drive goes faulty and is within warranty period we have online staff over at the oczforum who will help you get a replacement.

That said with a reshuffle at OCZ and a new direction we now have far less SKU's and 500% more focus on reliability and stability..the first drives to emphasise this is Vector and Vertex4.

Please if you have issues just join the forum over at www.ocztechnologyforum.com and post what issues you are having, the support staff will help.

Big changes over the past 6 months at OCZ...some of you guys with negative views will soon be changing that view point.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom