SAMSUNG

Soldato
I think Samsung's cameras could be better. Their strong areas are LCDs/HDDs/Phone.

Sony I think have become a 2nd rate brand since they dropped quality on products they made around the turn of the century. Used to be up there with Panasonic in 90s.

Associate
I used to work for support for Sharp Electronics

Couple years Ago sharp TV's build quality and reliability wise where very good, unfortunately as with a few manufacturers Toshiba etc. have adopted vestal products which encompassed 98% of TV's reported as faulty, any of the higher value sets rarely failed and the calls we did get used to relate to getting them on to networks very simple stuff.

I would never touch a budget TV ever unless it was for a spare room there's a reason their £200 in Tesco/asda etc and you would be lucky if it does not fail within the year.

personally.. im a Samsung fanboy and would love to work on the support/call centre side of it but I don't think I have any chance of getting that :)

Transmission breaker
Don
Soldato
Samsung make great hardware and utter pap software.

Look at the S3 great hardware - I have one and love it - but their software is terrible. Check out their ecosystem they are offering, the Musichub actually offers a Spotify style service (same pricing brackets, even had a free trial to all S3 owners - unlimited streaming of about 20mil tracks) with a BIGGER catalogue. But it is barely used, I know loads of S3 owners not a single one has tried it. The interface is massive barrier to entry.

Like Sony even during its mightiest day couldn't produce good software for toffee, it killed Minidisc.

Soldato
Samsung make great hardware and utter pap software.

Look at the S3 great hardware - I have one and love it - but their software is terrible. Check out their ecosystem they are offering, the Musichub actually offers a Spotify style service (same pricing brackets, even had a free trial to all S3 owners - unlimited streaming of about 20mil tracks) with a BIGGER catalogue. But it is barely used, I know loads of S3 owners not a single one has tried it. The interface is massive barrier to entry.

I've got a Samsung smart TV and the software is terrible. I don't know why they didn't stick Android or something on there instead.

Soldato
As i said before, Desktops, not an area we compete it. Dying market. Laptops i believe we are growing in most markets. Although I am not sure of our UK position :)

My experience says that Dell and HP have the upper hand in the UK business laptop market, especially the public sector.

I think Samsung's cameras could be better. Their strong areas are LCDs/HDDs/Phone.

What could possibly be better than a camera running Android...er...well...

I would never touch a budget TV ever unless it was for a spare room there's a reason their £200 in Tesco/asda etc and you would be lucky if it does not fail within the year.

I have a "budget" TV (from OCUK non the less), the panel is from LG. only the bezel marks it as budget. It's been going for years now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I like Samsung a lot myself, from screens to phones.

This!

As to some of the above, example: The S3 = Crap software. You're forgetting that those are just apps, yes the music hubs and game hubs and so on are garbage but you're not forced to use them and you can even disable them so they're out of sight.

I think the bulk of the gripes people have with brand xyz is that they just don't fully understand how to work with it or in some cases, around it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
They've crapped all over Android too. Googles reference phones and tablets running un-moddified Jellybean are much better. Actually better built and better looking than Samsungs phones and tablets as well if you ask me.

Again I would point to my post above about this whole Android thing being little understood in the grand scheme of things.

Both are absolutely brilliant.

On one hand a Nexus phone delivers the stock experience which a lot of people want, in fact it's so good that people with non nexus phones install themes to get a near 1:1 look and feel to the stock experience and in 99% of cases this works gloriously.

On the other hand, the Samsung phones are more tailored for specific things and more feature rich. Okay, their "themes" are a little pr-edated but anyone with half the mindset to sit down for an hour and personalise their phone will be able to sort it out no problems.

The bulk of the hate comes down to people not liking Touchwhiz, I don't like it myself and it's just so easy to not use it and install something else off the Play Store without losing any of the additional Samsung features.

Bottom line? Both are great, depends on what you prefer. One just requires a little common sense to sort out with very little effort in a free afternoon :)

Caporegime
Id say Samsungs a good brand, above average, but with everything, you get what you pay for. I wouldnt say for most products its the best for that particular sector, but generally its hard not to go wrong with a Samsung 'whatever'...

I guess its basically replaced Sony, pretty much a reversal of fortunes...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
I shop around a lot when I am buying stuff and do a lot of research/analysis. I always get the best on the market, for price at least, but mainly overall quality.

I have a Samsung galaxy S3 (previously S2), Samsung 40" LCD TV, 24" LED Monitor, Blu Ray Surround Sound, Blu Ray optical drive. All amazing.

I have had iPhones, LG/Pioneer TVs, Viewsonic monitor (which to be fair at the time was very good) but none of these compare to what I currently have.

I swear by Samsung and always usually buy from them, besides my iPad. I'm not a fan of android on a tablet, but a lot of the iPad is Samsung components anyway :)

Soldato
I would say as a Television engineer, within the last 5 years they have upped their game.

Are they the best in this particular field? They are up there, but I still think Panasonic are better build quality wise, and are more reliable.

LG have upped their game too this generation , where as Sony and Toshiba have gone down.

The joint venture Toshiba have had with Vestel has not done their reputation any good at all.

Some of Samsung's high end LED stuff now is gorgeous. I think I'll treat myself to one next year...

+1 On this, i also have a 24" Samsung Computer monitor that i bought in 2007 and it's still gives a goergous picture.

Their phones are also second to none. But anyone who's not an apple fanboi knows that already.

Yes i remember before 2005 that Samsung were a budget brand like ALBA or Goodmans with rubbish portable TV's and DVD players from Argos. But they've come a long long way since those days

Soldato
LG make most panels for TV don't they?

Samsung appeal to girls for a lot of stuff. Their TVs are ok but their phones are aimed at girls and they will never beat apple at that.

I think the GS3 also appeals quite a lot to guys seeing as it's pretty big for a phone, something that girls don't seem to like so much.

As for Samsung being premium, they most certainly are in some circumstances. They used to be crappy budget stuff, but nowadays they also have some seriously high end products to go with their budget stuff. The Samsung SSDs I have are top notch. As for their monitors, absolutely brilliant! I think that Samsung probably make the most premium 3D monitors ATM, you just need to look at how good and expensive they look to know that they're aimed at the premium market.

Soldato
Lol wonder if they ever plan to build a console to take on both Microsoft & SONY, would be intresting if they did as i sure with the amount of money Sammy has they get the backing from the likes of EA and such?

If this was ever the right time to do it then it is now! They could really win some people if they made a console that could compete with anything microshaft and phony is planning for next gen and not lock it down so you cant do much on it all but play what they want you to! I do not like all what is coming around the corner and I am not even a console fanboy. It just takes the wee how the likes of Microsoft charge just so game companies can get updates out. Then there is all the talk of locking things down and making second hand games worthless, things that just seem stupid too me!

I confess that ive only read a few things about it, but if this is true then I am glad I do not fuss over consoles. My kids will be drawn into this if they start asking for a new ps4 etc. Maybe its time to create a good gaming pc and say thats yer lot lol.

Back
Top Bottom