Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
Is PDK good with Porsche's? I ask because having both auto/manual is ideal for me... although some will shout about manuals and me being a wuss :p.

My hate is slowly coming around to love, and I'm eyeing up a Cayman S (2013). The new styling of the Boxster S has shifted my view somewhat. This is of course dependent on insurance being available for me on a 13 plate in 2014/15 as I'll still be under 28.

Associate
Is PDK good with Porsche's? I ask because having both auto/manual is ideal for me... although some will shout about manuals and me being a wuss :p.

My hate is slowly coming around to love, and I'm eyeing up a Cayman S (2013). The new styling of the Boxster S has shifted my view somewhat. This is of course dependent on insurance being available for me on a 13 plate in 2014/15 as I'll still be under 28.

To give a rough idea, I pay £820 4 years no claims for a gen1 cayman S (27) and paid 980 last year.

I had a hire car PDK boxster and cayman (non-S and not the *newest* model on either) PDK is an excellent automatic system. Its fast, responsive and allows for some crazy launches from traffic lights. The downside is that you do have to drive them differently to compensate. The box is keen to upshift and you will be in 5/6th gear doing 30mph. It will change rapidly if you want to accelerate, but it feels very different to a manual.

It does feel a less involving experience from the driver side, but if you like automatic cars its a no-brainer decision. I'd recommend asking for an extended test drive in both to what which you find best. It took me about a week of driving (normal commute of 14 miles) and a few excursions to get used to it, so it does take time if you haven't driven one before.

Hopefully I`ll be looking at a second hand cayman S in a few years aswell :D

Soldato
I had a hire car PDK boxster and cayman (non-S and not the *newest* model on either) PDK is an excellent automatic system. Its fast, responsive and allows for some crazy launches from traffic lights. The downside is that you do have to drive them differently to compensate. The box is keen to upshift and you will be in 5/6th gear doing 30mph. It will change rapidly if you want to accelerate, but it feels very different to a manual.

Does the TRIP mode not allow gear locking? Will it auto shift up in trip, or will it hold gear until you shift?

Currently what I love about the 350z, can lock in gear and it won't shift until you tell it to... both up and down (bar 5th)

Very much enjoy idea of keeping auto for relaxing, and a decent trip experience that gives you some power over the car... if however PDK over-rides you too much in trip I would get a bit frustrated and go for a manual.

Last edited:
Associate
Does the TRIP mode not allow gear locking? Will it auto shift up in trip, or will it hold gear until you shift?

Currently what I love about the 350z, can lock in gear and it won't shift until you tell it to... both up and down (bar 5th)

Very much enjoy idea of keeping auto for relaxing, and a decent trip experience that gives you some power over the car... if however PDK over-rides you too much in trip I would get a bit frustrated and go for a manual.

Yep, if you put it in manual mode it won't change gear without you shifting. Though IIRC it will downshift automatically still at a certain point, regardless of what gear you are in. So if you approach a roundabout in 7th, it would be in 1st again when you went to pull away even if you did nothing. (I`m sure i did that loads without a problem)

What is more useful is that if you hit the buttons (upgrade to paddles because using buttons is strange) it will keep that gear for X amount of time. So if you were planning to launch it from a roundabout, then you can use the paddles to keep it in 2nd, rather than leave the roundabout in 4/5th.

Soldato
Point is the Porsche system you can use it as often as you like. Why the roll eyes?

I've heard stories of your driving sir! :p

But yes, upon reading a few forums now it seems like it wears the clutch out slightly more... but marginal. To be perfectly honest I too would most likely be engaging LC at every set of lights and getting in trouble :D.

Police would be sitting behind thinking the LEDs are broken in the tail lights until they heard the tyre squeel.

Associate
The clutch in mine is a leg breaker, it's absurd. PDK all the way if you ask me.

Whilst on the subject, can you actually do anything to make the clutch lighter?

£540 for MOT + belt sounds pretty good Gibbo, I'll quote that to them if they give me a ridiculous price.

OcUK Staff
OP
The clutch in mine is a leg breaker, it's absurd. PDK all the way if you ask me.

Whilst on the subject, can you actually do anything to make the clutch lighter?

£540 for MOT + belt sounds pretty good Gibbo, I'll quote that to them if they give me a ridiculous price.

Clutch should not be so heavy, but maybe you have chicken legs? :D

If its ultra heavy it can be a sign of failing clutch cylinder or clutch itself, get it inspected. :)

Soldato
This Porsche is pretty special...

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/...orsche-cayenne-d-v6-tiptronic-onyx-ots/928673

porsche-cayenne-d-v6-tiptronic-S211324-12.jpg

porsche-cayenne-d-v6-tiptronic-S211324-3.jpg

Soldato
I've currently got 2 944s though only one is on the road.

I did a thread about the red one ages ago, but the bottom end has gone on the engine after the oil pressure relief valve got stuck :(

taking the engine out on thursday hopefully, got it all ready today so now it "just" torque tube off, rad off mounts off and lift.

I bought a "breaker" to use as a donor car, a cat C write off. However upon inspection it turned to be far, far too good to break (Written of because of a dent in the front panel) so i've put it back on the road and it's running at the moment. I had two engines with the red car, so that's the one going in once it's re-assembled.

Both cars are 1982 models, one on an X, the other a Y. The red one is a little unique in that it's one of the very first cars imported and has bits that few other 944s have (Steering wheel style, scripted door cards, textured spoiler) but is far more of a project!

One of them will have to be sold, head says the red one but i'm quite attached to it :D

Back
Top Bottom