Stone chip/crack :(

Soldato
So, driving back to work today and some 4x4 in front kicks up a massive rock which hits the centre top of my windscreen. Caused a nice crack which extended by a cm or two by the end of the journey. It's not repairable so that leaves windscreen replacement.

What are my options here? I have windscreen cover with a £75 excess. If I claim on that will it affect my no claims discount? Are there companies that will do it for cheaper than that? (Unlikely!)
Is it a claim I will need to mention for the next 5 years?

Cheers for any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
It wont affect ncb, you will need to mention it for 5years but it makes next to no difference. I had two windscreen claims in a short period of time and it honestly made about a tenners difference to my premium

Screens are generally hundreds of pounds fitted

Soldato
I don't even think you need to mention it if you change companies.

If your fully comp you should insist on a genuine OE screen and not be allowed to be fobbed off with a Autoglass branded one!

Soldato
OP
Crappy Admiral charge £25 for a repair, £75 for replacement.

£75 could be worse at the end of the day and it doesn't affect NCB (I'm with Admiral). There's a few chips on the glass anyway (old) so changing it will probably be a good thing. As long as the windscreen wipers still work as well and it doesn't creak or rattle too much :)

Soldato
What crap insurance companies do you use?

Claiming for a new screen off mine costs me nothing bar my (£65) excess. Fixing a chip costs £0, no excess.

I'm assuming this was Swiftcover. I was with them for my last year (renewed in November). I've had to claim on my windscreen cover twice earlier this year and as a result they froze my NCB, so I effectively lost one yea's bonus. I couldn't really complain, as it's mentioned in their terms and conditions for the windscreen cover - but who checks the T&Cs for widnscreen policies?

Luckily, when I renewed in November with Greenlight, I explained the situation to them and they were surprised at Swiftcover's policy. However, they said that if I could supply them with proof of no claims from my previous insurer before Swift, they would continue to honour my NCB as if it hadn't been frozen for a year. So all is not lost, and I now go out of my way to warn others off of Swiftcover.

Back
Top Bottom