The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Soldato
My hard drive has died, but i managed to save all my photos (phew!) - but had lost the edittng that i have done on them :( - never mind, i suppose it give me a chance to relive them all again!

one thing that would be useful the present that were available here, cant be downloaded, can one post these up again?

At least you saved your original images. Why though did you not backup your catalog? LR will do it every time you close the programme if you want. Very simple, only takes a few clicks and you then have all the edits you made.

Here is a vieo from the AdobeTV showing you exactly what to do :) http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-4/backing-up-your-catalog/

I also saw this on the Adobe Lightroom channel on Youtube which for me made me realise just how useful the Develop module could be (I had only used the trial for one day at that point) and also that bad images can be saved with RAW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RW8CxwQS8

I echo the below comment. This should be nailed to the top.

Shame the megaupload preset files are gone thanks to the FBI.

Last edited:
Associate
At least you saved your original images. Why though did you not backup your catalog? LR will do it every time you close the programme if you want. Very simple, only takes a few clicks and you then have all the edits you made.

SNIP

Shame the megaupload preset files are gone thanks to the FBI.

Wasnt aware the edits were saved to the catalogue and not the images - im sure the catalogue was backed up, i will have a look to see whether this is something i have saved previously!

Is there any way someone can re-upload those presets or is it no longer allowed?

Soldato
I hope you find your catalog file!

No rule against uploading that preset file if anyone has it as far as I'm aware. It was just hosted on megaupload originally and that entire site got taken down.

Soldato
Big bump for this one. Was looking for the presets that are linked to in the initial post but they were previously hosted on megaupload. Anyone have any more valid links for the free/shared presets?

Soldato
Hi,
I'm using the LR4 trial and the highlight and shadow recovery sliders are wonderful, there's no looking back now :p.
What's the cheapest people have seen full LR 4 on sale for?
I've found a place selling it with a cheap camera (some licence reason) for £67.99.
Wonder if that licence would affect the future upgrade?

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Do the wedding togs here just use LR I've been trying to get a better workflow but struggle a lot to keep a time period and spend more than a day sometimes.

I e read about a program called photo mechanic which people use even before they import to LR.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What's missing from your current workflow? Lightroom is really all that's needed unless retouching is required 99% of the time.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
I tend to backup the dcim folder right away as we'll has having the backup in camera.

And then go right to Lightroom import and get a basic feel for the first image and then mass sync and see if any photos need a tweak. Brightness or maybe a b&w conversion. And then dust removal if any.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I tend to backup the dcim folder right away as we'll has having the backup in camera.

And then go right to Lightroom import and get a basic feel for the first image and then mass sync and see if any photos need a tweak. Brightness or maybe a b&w conversion. And then dust removal if any.

Ah I don't do the backup SD/CF part as importing directly from LR is that anyway (and then just backup the lrcat file on a weekly basis). You can mass apply an action/preset during import anyway like lens profile or your set processing style, this improves the workflow and removes a step :)

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Ahh I should really watch more vids on LR lol didn't know about the action presets! Nor do I have a processing style as of yet either I can't seem to get a consistent look for each photo. Apart from studios where lighting is consistent.

But getting new camera next week so hope to achieve better results now.

Soldato
Lightroom 5 public beta has just been announced!

It came up on Techcrunch but now the article has been taken down.
I guess it'll reappear soon enough. (Unless it was a fake)

Main new features:
Flexible spot removal tool, can be any shape and has intelligent matching.
Spot highlighting tool, finds and removes dusts and specks automatically.
'Upright' tool that automatically corrects distortion and horizontal skewing.
You can edit in preview mode and apply to actual image when you connect HD later.

funny thing is I just bought Lightroom 4 yesterday. Yep, yesterday :eek:

Soldato
I wouldnt be too concerned - the Beta normally runs for many months before the new version is officially released.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Time to install :)

I don't like the fact that the BETA won't import my LR4.4 catalog so a new one needs to be created and then all images re0imported from the previous directory that LR4 worked form, this doubles the disk space used as LR5 BETA works from its own directories.

I think I will stick with 4.4 until the 5 is out of BETA.

Last edited:
Associate
Time to install :)

I don't like the fact that the BETA won't import my LR4.4 catalog so a new one needs to be created and then all images re0imported from the previous directory that LR4 worked form, this doubles the disk space used as LR5 BETA works from its own directories.

I think I will stick with 4.4 until the 5 is out of BETA.

The beta version is intended to provide an opportunity to give feedback and as such, does not read, upgrade or import catalogs from previous versions of Lightroom. If you currently own Lightroom, please continue to use Lightroom 1 or higher for your primary workflow needs.

Soldato
I can't remember a beta version that did let you use old catalogues into the final new version - I think their approach is pretty consistent.

I'm happy with LR4 but will certainly consider an upgrade depending on the new features.

Back
Top Bottom