*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
Been using mine now for a few days. One thing that does bug the hell out of me is there doesn't seem to be proper automatic text reflow in any browser that works as seamlessly as my old DHD did. Seems a curious omission

Associate
i am having issues with my phone. Maybe this is a "feature" (if so, it is a crap one!) or maybe it is a bug or maybe I am doing something wrong:

When i go to internet (using stock browser) and then go to another app and return to the internet, all of my previous browsing is "removed" the phone acts as if i have just started the browser?

Soldato
i am having issues with my phone. Maybe this is a "feature" (if so, it is a crap one!) or maybe it is a bug or maybe I am doing something wrong:

When i go to internet (using stock browser) and then go to another app and return to the internet, all of my previous browsing is "removed" the phone acts as if i have just started the browser?

Tried on mine and it's fine. Are you pressing 'home' then selecting an app then going back to the browser?

Soldato
If it really does bother you, turn on airplane mode, it disables your mobile network though. Just leave it plugged in? I keep my wifi on and various things are kept syncing. If i do turn off wifi + gps I only loose around 4%, but I do only sleep around 5-6h max most days.

This isn't really the point. I've not noticed other Android phones doing this and my wife's iPhone4 seems to retain its charge quite happily. When I use the Note 2 constantly during the day I've seen 7 hours screen time with the battery down to 15%, which is outstanding. On the other hand I once thought I was going to be stuck away from home owing to flooding stopping me getting home from work. I wasn't using the phone a huge amount, but the constant pecking away at the battery would have been the difference between it lasting 1 day or 2 days, i.e. about 30-40% of total battery use from me doing absolutely nothing with the phone.

Are there any apps that will break down the 'Android System' usage into its individual components? Or is what I'm seeing just a feature of the Note 2?

Associate
Found out that browsing with a cheapo stylus is actually better than the spen...
i dont have use my finger to hit the soft keys and everything just works better. :eek:

Associate
Found out that browsing with a cheapo stylus is actually better than the spen...
i dont have use my finger to hit the soft keys and everything just works better. :eek:

Haha. I prefer browsing with my finger since it's much easier than putting a pen down when you want to type, and you can hold the phone easily.

Just out of interest, which "cheapo stylus" are you talking about?

It certainly would be handy if the back and left menu button could be used with the s-pen. But I'd hate to have on screen buttons like on nexus devices since it's such a waste of the screen + ruins playing games and watching videos.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
"Oh that's such a brick"

"Oh it fits in my jeans pocket!"

"Oh it's very light!"

Some of the comments from the past week :p

Battery life with moderate use (4 hours screen time) I have had 1day 16 hours. I like.

Associate
"Oh that's such a brick"

"Oh it fits in my jeans pocket!"

"Oh it's very light!"

Some of the comments from the past week :p

Battery life with moderate use (4 hours screen time) I have had 1day 16 hours. I like.

It depends on what you use it for. I have quite a few things syncing, and news widgets. If I read the news and browse the web I can get about 5 hours screen time. If I watch videos, tv shows.... I get about 9 hours screen time.

This is with location services on, usually 3g and full brightness of course - display is in dynamic mode (try it if you don't have it, settings>display>screen mode)

I'd recommend getting an extra battery set, off amazon and just keeping a spare on you just in case for an easy swap.

It's never actually died on me during the day. I've had it for 2 months now and I'm a very heavy user :)

Make sure you get a protective case for it. I have the otterbox commuter which is great, might be a tiny bit bulky, but it really isn't that thick.
If you drop this phone without a case 75% the screen crack somehow. This will cost just under £200 to fix.

The case has to have a lip over each edge so if the phone was dropped face flat on the ground, there would be no contact with the screen.

If you don't already have it. I'd thoroughly recommend nova launcher since it makes the home screen so much nicer + supports auto orientation so there is landscape mode which should have been standard. Nova launcher can copy your layout from touchwiz too.

My favorite live wallpapers are nexus revamped pro, magic smoke 3d and galaxy pack. They have hardly any effect on the battery life.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh this isn't new to me just to make that clear :p

A shade under 7 hours is my max screen time over about 16 hours. Extra battery is not needed for me. USB ports /everywhere/ to get power from if needed which hasn't been the case yet though!

Associate
Usb charging via the computer is non-existent, it's so slow there's no point even trying! You always have to use a plug sadly :(

Shame it's so slow though charging through computers, same with the s3.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Didn't see any problems on S3 or Note II here but my mobo does output more power over USB if needed. Some TVs output less power but a lot these days have dedicated USB ports for HDDs, those output a bit more juice.

Associate
I don't think the voltage coming out of my ports is an issue either. I have an Alienware m17x r4 and the ports are 3.0. Also tried it in other pc's and this was on stock firmware, any even before rooting, not that it would have effect.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Can someone shed any light on whether there is a quick short cut key to launch the camera when in locked screen? Is there one? :confused:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Nope, there are shortcut options for the lock screen, but you have to then unlock your phone before using the camera.

You simply enable camera quick access and you will have the camera open by doing what the action describes:

Screenshot_2012-12-31-11-53-03.png

Alternatively just add the camera application to one of the 5 shortcut spaces on the lockscreen. Launching either way auto unlocks the screen.

If you use pattern/code unlock then it's a different matter, you must unlock first (obviously).

Soldato
Really loving this phone, but have noticed that the battery drains itself at a rate of 1%-ish per hour when left unattended (e.g. if I take it off charge before bed, I'll wake up and it's at 92%). I've checked in the battery usage and in these cases it appears to be 'Android System' that's pecking away at the charge level. This happens even with GPS/Wifi and Bluetooth all turned off. My old Desire HD had an appalling battery life, but even that would sit happily for long periods of time with GPS/Wifi on, without the battery draining so noticeably.

Anyone got any ideas of why this is, or what I can do to track it down? The phone isn't rooted or otherwise fiddled about with.

This isn't really the point. I've not noticed other Android phones doing this and my wife's iPhone4 seems to retain its charge quite happily. When I use the Note 2 constantly during the day I've seen 7 hours screen time with the battery down to 15%, which is outstanding. On the other hand I once thought I was going to be stuck away from home owing to flooding stopping me getting home from work. I wasn't using the phone a huge amount, but the constant pecking away at the battery would have been the difference between it lasting 1 day or 2 days, i.e. about 30-40% of total battery use from me doing absolutely nothing with the phone.

I'm not sure this is even an issue? 1%/hour standby time is probably not enough to make a difference here, and certainly not worse than other smartphones. Between 1-2 days that's 18-24%. I had a Desire HD also and the standby time was worse than that (fully charged, on Airplane Mode and without a SIM card in it (and without being used at all) it would last around 3, maybe 4 days. My Touch HD was about the same until I put a double capacity battery in it when it lasted nearly a week under similar conditions.

Associate
Haha. I prefer browsing with my finger since it's much easier than putting a pen down when you want to type, and you can hold the phone easily.

Just out of interest, which "cheapo stylus" are you talking about?

It certainly would be handy if the back and left menu button could be used with the s-pen. But I'd hate to have on screen buttons like on nexus devices since it's such a waste of the screen + ruins playing games and watching videos.

One of those cheap ones from amazon. Can tap the soft keys and its very responsive with the note 2 screen surprisingly.
i cant stand using my finger..

like this:
stylus-touch-pen-for-ipad-iphone-itouch-black-_ksfxku1294208724830.jpg

Back
Top Bottom