i5 750 oc for a newbie

Associate
Hi everyone,

I've owned my Intel i5 750 for about 3 years now and although it's still a brilliant chip, it's struggling to keep up with my 7970's standards... Especially seen as though my i5 is maxing out in games. So anyway to the point, basically I used to overclock my graphics cards using software like afterburner. Is there any equivalent software for my cpu? It would be far easier for me.. I've tried overclocking it through the bios before as I know this is the best way but it didn't go too well. My spec is in my sig.

Associate
The only software I have seen has been provided by the motherboard manufacturer, e.g. ASUS AI Suite.

Don't be too afraid of overclocking via the BIOS though. I can give you some advice if you want?

What clock speed are you looking to go for? And what CPU cooler are you using?

Associate
As far as I am aware as this is not a K version processor that multiplier is locked. I have also heard that trying to OC using the base clock is very temperamental on intel chips

Soldato
I done a similar thread not long ago, have a look here for some settings http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18436135

basically
set vcore to 1.35v ish
raise bclk to 190, and the multiplier is 20, so your speed will be 3800mhz or 3.8GHz.
make sure ram is at its rated speed, u can adjust this with the ram ratio divider.

run Intel burn test (ibt) for 10 passes on max memory with 4 threads.
if it passes, raise bclk to 200 and test again. repeat until unstable
if it fails, either reduce bclk by 10mhz or increase the vcore to 1.36v and test again.

Associate
As far as I am aware as this is not a K version processor that multiplier is locked. I have also heard that trying to OC using the base clock is very temperamental on intel chips

There never was a K version for the i5 750 but you do get a choice of multipliers, up to x20 (or x21 if the motherboard allows it).

I am currently running 200 MHz base clock (stock 133) with a x19 multiplier to get 3.8GHz but more is achievable with a better cooling solution.

With a good cooler, 200 MHz base clock and a x21 multiplier (4.2 GHz) should be attainable.

By changing the base clock you will affect other things in the system (e.g. RAM frequency) so there is more possibility for things to get unstable, so in that respect it's more tempremental I suppose. Not a big problem though tbh.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll report back when I've tried some of your tips :) I've actually got a 120mm rad with a waterblock, so I should be able to achieve a decent clock right, providing my processor will push that far.

Associate
OP
Well it's a while since I opened this thread and thought I'd let you helpful guys know how I went on. Managed to get the i5 750 to 4.2GHz / 4200MHz (20 x 210MHz) -1.36 Vcore. Managed to get my ram etc stable after fiddling about for a while. Currently runs at about 33^celcius idle & about 55^celcius (max) in prime95 / Ibt.

Associate
I've had mine overclocked without a voltage increase. Got 3.6 without any real problems, and that's enough for me so i've left it.

My old Asrock mobo has some excellent software to overclock from within Windows. The Gigabyte software on my current mobo is slightly disappointing tbh.

Soldato
Well it's a while since I opened this thread and thought I'd let you helpful guys know how I went on. Managed to get the i5 750 to 4.2GHz / 4200MHz (20 x 210MHz) -1.36 Vcore. Managed to get my ram etc stable after fiddling about for a while. Currently runs at about 33^celcius idle & about 55^celcius (max) in prime95 / Ibt.

That's a cracking overclock :)

My 750 hits a wall at 4.1GHz no matter what voltage I put through it.

Associate
How on earth have you managed to keep it at 55 degrees on full load? I've got a Megahalems and am struggling at 75! :confused:

I've been mucking around with my 750 the last couple of days. Was stuck at 3.8 at 1.375v but switched the multiplier to 21 and am now on 4.05 at 1.36v. Seeing how low I can push the volts at this frequency...

Associate
OP
How on earth have you managed to keep it at 55 degrees on full load? I've got a Megahalems and am struggling at 75! :confused:

I've been mucking around with my 750 the last couple of days. Was stuck at 3.8 at 1.375v but switched the multiplier to 21 and am now on 4.05 at 1.36v. Seeing how low I can push the volts at this frequency...

I've got a custom watercooling loop.. Only with a 120mm rad but it's quite nifty for what it is :p

Associate

sorry OP for a slight thread backtrack, but just to clarify, both the points Riseagainst made here are relevant to 2nd and 3rd Gen Core i series processors, for your first gen i5, there was no 'K' version.

equally, clocking by altrering the base clock is fine on your 750, and as others have suggested, a base clock of around 200 is commonly achievable.
2nd and 3rd Gen are more sensitive to changing the base clock, as other systems such a SATA and PCI derive their bus speeds from this same clock generator, whereas in first gen platforms, this was still controlled by a chip on the motherboard (called PCH or sometimes Northbridge)

Associate
OP
I've just noticed something that I previously haven't noticed.. the multipliers are different? I'm not having any issues but why would this be. The multiplier in the bios is set to x20.

f6oTGxo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom