Is a 2MS Respons time really necessary for a gaming monitor?

Associate
I've been looking to buy 2 new monitors so I don't want to go crazy prizes on each and from what I've heard and seen everyone recomends and goes for monitors with a 2MS response time but is that paramount to a good gaming experience and will I really tell the difference between that and a 5MS monitor. Just really want to know if it will make my guns looks asif they're running a lot less slower.

Any advice would be great

Thanks,

William

Soldato
Low response times are meant to reduce ghosting, but from what i understand each manufacturer has different ideas on how to measure response time.

This, along with buying many monitors over the years, leads me to think that the number is mostly useless and reading reviews and watching videos of it working is much more useful than comparing stats.

Associate
OP
Oh right I see. Ill just shop around and look abit more at the reviews. Could you recomend a good monitor for around £70-£100, or do you thonk that is to low to get a decent monitro? If so how much should I aim to spend. Oh the size would be 22"

Thanks.

Soldato
No one can tell you if you will notice the difference.
Some people are very sensitive to it, some others (like me) can't even see it, I can't tell the difference between 2ms and 8ms...unless I put my eye on the monitor and watch it very closely and do something like strafe back and forth with a tree in front of me, under normal use, they both look the same to me.
The only way to find out is to try it out and see what it feels like.

Why don't you say which monitors you are looking at along with size,resolution,price point,what you want from the monitor(colors/black levels etc) so the experts can help you narrow down to a monitor which would best suit you.

Associate
OP
I want a 22" with the price around £70-£100 but to be honest with you mate all the other stuff I don't have a clue about as I've never brought a monitor before and don't have any knowledge in it. So I was just hoping someone would point me in the right direction and show me a few cool monitors within my price range then ill check out reviews etc. Because looking at the monitors myself I have no idea what I'm looking at in terms of which one is good quality and which one isn't. Etc

Associate
What games are going to be playing and what graphics card do you have.

If you have anything decent look for monitors with 1920x1080 resolution Full HD in other words, I wouldnt bother with anything lower than that.

Associate
Actually, pixel persistence is no longer the main cause of motion blur, because it's only 2ms out of a refresh (16.7ms at 60Hz, or 8.3ms at 120Hz).

Most motion blur on a modern LCD monitor is caused by the sample-and-hold nature of the monitor. Your eyes are continuously moving, while tracking moving objects, so the refresh is blurred across your eyes (see Science & References, scroll down for the academic papers that explains the difference between pixel persistence motion blur, and eye-tracking-based motion blur).

Strobing the backlight (once per refresh), eliminates the motion blur, and makes it flicker like a CRT, but at 120Hz, the flicker isn't annoying (like 60Hz CRT). If you already own a BENQ XL2411T, it also uses LightBoost. You can also force-enable LightBoost (strobe backlight) on a monitor even when not playing 3D (e.g. BENQ XL2411T) in order to to get zero motion blur -- completely eliminates motion blur on BENQ XL2411T.

There's some great testimonials for the zero motion blur effect when you enable the LightBoost strobe backlight on the BENQ XL2411T, a popular monitor from overclockers.uk online store.

Mark Rejhon said:
Confirmed!! I've since purchased the Asus VG278H & a GTX680, and it works! Zero motion blur confirmed -- looks like CRT motion.
original post

Transsive said:
Then yesterday I, for some reason, disabled the 3d and noticed there was no ghosting to be spotted at all in titan quest. It's like playing on my old CRT.
original post

Inu said:
I can confirm this works on BENQ XL2420TX
EDIT: And OMG i can play scout so much better now in TF2, this is borderline cheating.
original post

Terrorhead said:
Thanks for this, it really works! Just tried it on my VG278H. Its like a CRT now!
original post

Vega said:
Oh my, I just got Skyrim AFK camera spinning (which I used to test LCD's versus the [Sony CRT] FW900) to run without stutters and VSYNC locked to 120. This Benq with Lightboost is just as crystal clear if not clearer than the FW900 motion. I am in awe. More testing tomorrow. Any of my doubts about this Lightboost technology have been vaporized! I've been playing around with this fluid motion on this monitor for like 6-hours straight, that is how impressive it is.
original post

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
BlurBusters.com Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur on LCD's

Soldato
I picked up a LG IPS LED monitor not long ago, and its got a response time of 5ms. My old monitor has a response time of 2ms, and iv been using that for years, i cant really tell the difference between them both regarding response time tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
I picked up a LG IPS LED monitor not long ago, and its got a response time of 5ms. My old monitor has a response time of 2ms, and iv been using that for years, i cant really tell the difference between them both regarding responce time tbh.
This is often normal for most situations; pixel persistence is not the main cause of motion blur. 2ms and 5ms is only a small fraction of 1/60sec (16.7ms) refresh at 60Hz. Even 2ms is only a small fraction of a 1/120sec (8.33ms) refresh at 120Hz.

Most motion blur you see on modern LCD's today, are eye-tracking-based motion blur.

Associate
OP
OH right fair enough. All this advice as really helped as I thought it was almose set in stone that a 2Ms monitro was the only way to go for gaming but obviously not.

Thank you for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom