*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Caporegime
Damn you Nexus you're tempting me to try Nova now..

:p

TBH, if you're happy with apex and don't mind/encounter the issues that I have with it then just stick with apex as they really are the same launchers on the whole now, each one has a few features over the other.

You know what, i'm sort of glad i don't have the update yet with all the issues you guys are talking about x86EF.gif

Yeah there are quite a lot of people having certain issues over on XDA :(, personally I haven't had any issues, battery life was a concern but ever since using the power saver features for screen brightness and turning location reporting of, it has been pretty good for me. Although I did do a factory reset after the update so that is probably why I don't have any issues :p

Soldato
Install quick ics browser instead, better than ICS +, unfortunately the text reflow is messed up now :(

Although personally I would stick with the stock sense browser as it is the best browser for android overall, the tweaks they have done with sense V4+ are fantastic, especially for the quick controls, speed and smoothness is the best too, only beaten by dolphin with the jetpack addon and only by a small margin from my usage.

what tweaks have HTC done to the quick controls - the opening animation?

Caporegime
The opening animation is new too :p Like a shutter effect

They have ordered it in like sub menus so when you hover over one it will open more quick controls related to that action e.g.

boJWB.png 9OM0s.png

Soldato
Those quick controls are incredibly fiddly, so much effort to perform basic tasks :D Props if you can comfortably control your phone like that! Looks cool too and I'm glad HTC have reverted to the stock browser engine. WTF was that all about before?

battery life was a concern but ever since using the power saver features for screen brightness and turning location reporting of, it has been pretty good for me. Although I did do a factory reset after the update so that is probably why I don't have any issues :p

Battery life always improves once you stop playing around with a new update. ;):D It's always been identical to 4.0.4 for me. (still no sign of those replacement HOX+ batteries :()
Turn off that stupid power saving feature once your settled and you'll see no difference.
Unless your turning off data connectivity with the screen? What a pointless feature to have on a smartphone. Ugh... Yes, I'm still bitter HTC do the same thing at midnight without your consent. We already have a mobile data button in the settings!

Damn, I've really grown to hate Sense 4. It's utter, utter **** compared to stock Jelly Bean and 4+ has made it much worse.

Caporegime
Yeah at first they were a bit fiddly, but once you get use to the placements of the stuff etc. it is great! :D Much prefer it to the likes of quick ics where you just place all the buttons in the inner or outer circle.

Shame you don't have more control over it though i.e. show/hide some quick controls like quick ics browser though and the trigger area isn't big enough either.

Have they not always used the stock browser engine? Just with their tweaks to it.?

hehe possibly :p

Will try switching the screen thing of again to see if there is much difference. Nope, not turning of data connectivity, only the screen saver option selected.

Lol, it is annoying that there isn't an option to disable that but tbph I don't use the phone that much at all around that time so if it saves battery during the night for the next day then all is good by me :p :D

My only gripe with sense V4+ is the battery usage chart thing, it is just awful! :(

Badly want that X+ battery too, wtf is taking them so long!?!? :( :confused:

Soldato
My One S has updated to 4.1.1 today, and its been rubbish ever since. ICS Browser+ has stopped loading completely, and every so often it'll randomly throw up an error about a process thats stopped working.

I suppose the next step will have to be a factory reset, but I really can't be bothered backing stuff up...

Same here, but I bit the bullet and did a factory reset and it's been back to it's rock solid, stable best since (touch wood, cross fingers etc)

Associate
anyone noticed a change on the sound quality when playing music? Mine's gone stupidly loud with beats enabled and also plays an awful click/white noise at the start of a track.

Caporegime
Yeah noticed that too, audio on the whole is much louder, use to have the notifications set to "3" in audio manager, now have it set to "1" and it is still a bit louder lol.

Also have that click noise at the start of tracks for like a couple of milli seconds, but apart from that it is a clear as anything throughout.

Soldato
i mentioned it before in this thread, but constantly whilst playing music i get little clicks/hitches, which i can only attribute to switching on/off of 3g/hsdpa, which is really ****ing me off as i use my phone as an mp3 player almost constantly

Soldato
Been using nova prime for a long time instead now.

Nova works much better for me on the whole, smoother (the micro stutter in apex especially when scrolling back in the app drawer is annoying [may have been fixed in recent updates though.....]) and certain things work better/implemented better like the stock JB icon pack (with apex, you have to install a theme pack from the market and even then some icons aren't applied properly where as with nova the JB is implemented and themes all the icons properly) and most importantly with apex when scrolling on the homescreens sometimes the widgets would get glitchy artefacts, again it may have been fixed with recent updates though. But I don't see any reason to move from nova for now...... as with the V2 update, the main things that I missed from apex have been included i.e. infinite scroll in app drawer and keep in memory.

I've switched to Nova now, and I must say it is better than Apex. All the little hitches and glitchy artefacts (which appeared a lot) are now gone. Worth switching for that alone.

Caporegime
Nexus mate - Which colour has issues? The black is £251 sim free!

The black model :p

Although they were fixed with a newer design long ago, bevelled USB and smoother edges, the problem with the phone MAO layer falling/chipping off was mainly due to the corners being too sharp much like the iphone 5 and its chipping problems.

My old design black one s is still in perfect condition apart from the inside edges of the USB port and I haven't used a case for a long time (unless I am out somewhere for the night).

If you don't take care and put it in your pockets with keys, coins etc. then it will still get scratched probably...... :p

Is that price for the S4 version? If yes, bargain! Where from?

@twist3d0n3

Hmm, I am hardly ever on 3G/H, so will give music a try later tonight under those conditions with headphones and speaker.

EDIT:

Found it on amazon, it says 1.5GHz which is the S4 version, however, iirc people have said that they got the S3 version despite that. Contact them first to make sure!

Last edited:
Soldato
They're only £216 on Amazon warehouse deals, worth trying out for that price Mike :) Hope they're the 520e model (S4 snapdragon)

(£240 for the 8GB N4 is even better :p)

i mentioned it before in this thread, but constantly whilst playing music i get little clicks/hitches, which i can only attribute to switching on/off of 3g/hsdpa, which is really ****ing me off as i use my phone as an mp3 player almost constantly

That clicking noise is driving me insane too :D I can't listen to music and use the 2G/3G at the same time any more. I'm going to root if Google can't secure N4 stock soon.

Soldato
Yeah at first they were a bit fiddly, but once you get use to the placements of the stuff etc. it is great! :D Much prefer it to the likes of quick ics where you just place all the buttons in the inner or outer circle.

And a quick link to the URL direct, not via tabs (unless I've missed it?)

Have they not always used the stock browser engine? Just with their tweaks to it.?

Yep but they totally messed it up. Those 'tweeks' had a big impact in reviews, most people thought the phone was slow/buggy and gave the SGS3 a huge advantage.

http://youtu.be/SEFWshNQ3ac

Caporegime
£216?!?! :eek: :cool: (only really :cool: if it is the S4 version though :p)

A quick thumb control to type in a URL/search?

Right here :p

QimjM.png

That is because it is shown on the one X with crappy tegra 3 and crappy software/driver optimisation :p :D Personally I have always found the browser to be very fast, smooth and responsive on my S (even before JB), overall the best on the android platform apart from the likes of dolphin with jetpack addon and possibly quick ics (too close to call really) imo

Opera, chrome and firefox are good, however, I hate their UI and they all render the sites horribly, text size not correct etc.

The main advantage of the HTC browser over all other browsers is the text reflow, incredibly useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom