Jessops in administration

Ken

Ken

Associate
I hope there's a delay in the shutters rolling down as i want to go in and create some noise and haggle for my first SLR. Hopefully the salesman there will diffuse the situation and come to a resolution in terms of a good price. ISO sorry...:p

Permabanned
OcUK is more similar to amazon than a highstreet store like jessops, one massive central warehouse and majority of sales online. Only difference is that it has a small shop on the front of it for physical sales too. (i say small ive not been to the new place :p)

Still I think it's about time that ocuk roll with the punches and start offering digital game downloads via an online interface.

Permabanned
With the popularity of the Internet now and smartphones making it accessible anywhere. Everyday more and more people are price comparing trying to find products for the least cost possible. I type the product in and search for the lowest cost p&p.

Just this past year, I've bought a fridge and washing machine off the Internet saving at least £50 each than if bought from a high street store. The only time I would buy something from the high street is if it's quite low cost and if there's only a £10 difference than online, just for convenience.

Bigger warehouses and minimal staff. I find it very hard to see how the unemployment rates are going to come down drastically with everything getting automated and online based. It's getting quite scary.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's it then. Woolies, Dixons, Comet, Game, Our Price, Jessops, Index - all gone. All we'll have left in Stafford are Starbucks/Costa/Nero, betting shops, charity shops, the banks, Argos at one end and Weatherspoons at both ends lol. Virtually every empty shop window has a "for let A.J. Philips" sign like as if he owns and rents out the entire high street.

I work and live only 5 mins from the town centre but can't remember the last time I went into town. Its got to be years ago. There is just nothing worth going into town for. Shame really but I can buy everything I need online for much much cheaper.

Soldato
Even poundland were forced to have a sale this year...

Likely because of the competition from other discount stores.

As I mentioned before, there was a documentary before Xmas where the retail experts seem to agree that we are heading for a Britain dominated by pound shops and there will be fierce competition between companies.

Associate
It's pretty sad but I am also guilty of only browsing the high street. This leaves only Argos, charity shops, McDonalds, pawn shops, pound-shops, empty units and public service pop-ups on my high street.

Soldato
Shame, Ive got some real bargins from there over the past years... unbranded photoframes with good resolutions and a great point and click for the mrs at the best price on the interwebs.

Soldato
Adapt or die,

All these stores have to provide better customer service, more competitive pricing, knowledgeable staff and basically stop ripping people off

Oh and stop trying to ram over priced insurance down my throat for anything im vaguely interested in, i don't get that online, I don't want it on the high street

Most of these stores, Sony, dixons group etc have been taking mega profits and markup for the past 20 years+, its hard to find sympathy now......paybacks a bitch

Associate
Adapt or die,

All these stores have to provide better customer service, more competitive pricing, knowledgeable staff and basically stop ripping people off

Oh and stop trying to ram over priced insurance down my throat for anything im vaguely interested in, i don't get that online, I don't want it on the high street

Most of these stores, Sony, dixons group etc have been taking mega profits and markup for the past 20 years+, its hard to find sympathy now......paybacks a bitch

So when they do all that how are they going to afford their higher costs?

Soldato
So when they do all that how are they going to afford their higher costs?

Thats not up to me to say, but given the amount closures the last 5 years their current business model clearly isn't working is it. Adapt or.......

I would buy on the high street/retail park for convienience and avoid the rip off that can be online delivery charges and then the waiting, but the fact is even with delivery included online is still so much cheaper for many that you just cant justify it.

Thinking back the last thing i really bought on the street was a TF101 Transformer from Comet in store about 18 months ago, it was £10 more than online which was acceptable, and Comet / CPWH also seemed to have exclusivity on supply of these for a while at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom