Car battery dead

Soldato
So, went to start my car on Wednesday morning and it wouldn't start, battery dead. Brother gave me a jump Wed night and I left the engine running for about 20mins and haven't driven it since. Went out just now and it's dead again. I know the battery is probably on its way out so I will replace when I get the money (no job) but I'm guessing leaving it running for 20mins didn't do it any favours as it's prob not long enough. Would this be correct?

Associate
its probably got a bad cell so not holding charge. you need to run the car min 7-8 miles to get the charge back into the battery from when you start it

alex

Soldato
Best to drive it around for a while.

Also you might want to consider that the battery is dying because of another electrical fault and the problem not being the battery itself. My Golf MK5 battery died once, I replaced it to find the new one died within a day. The actual problem turned out to be a faulty module for an aux fuel pump, that was draining the battery.

Soldato
OP
Best to drive it around for a while.

Also you might want to consider that the battery is dying because of another electrical fault and the problem not being the battery itself. My Golf MK5 battery died once, I replaced it to find the new one died within a day. The actual problem turned out to be a faulty module for an aux fuel pump, that was draining the battery.

Interesting. I noticed that the rear window heater wasn't clearing condensation about a week ago and my brother said that it's just because it's cold, it'll take a while longer. I took it out for a run today after getting a jump and switched the rear heater on for like 2mins and it didn't clear it whatsoever. Could this be the prob why the keeps dying? Could the fuse be blown for the rear heater?

Soldato
Interesting. I noticed that the rear window heater wasn't clearing condensation about a week ago and my brother said that it's just because it's cold, it'll take a while longer. I took it out for a run today after getting a jump and switched the rear heater on for like 2mins and it didn't clear it whatsoever. Could this be the prob why the keeps dying? Could the fuse be blown for the rear heater?

I would actually remove the fuse for the rear heater and see if this solves the problem. If the fuse was blown then it definitely would not be the problem!

Soldato
If the fuse is blown there is no circuit - no circuit = no drain.

However rear screens and alarms are notorious for causing battery drains. Certain VW models can drain through the alternator as well. My mates R reg passat does this.

Back
Top Bottom