Dell PE 29** Origin Hard Drive Replacement

Soldato
Can someone here that has replaced a hard drive in a Power Edge 29** series server with one of those "Origin" replacements confirm or deny that the carrier/caddy is causing a constant activity light?

Basically these drives aren't exact replacements (2.5" in a 3.5" caddy/carrier) but are a licensed/legitimate replacement part now.
I replaced 2 drives in 2 different arrays and AFTER the rebuild and verify the activity lights are at a constant until there is actually activity and it will flicker as per the other drives in the array.
The array is fine, reporting optimal and no issues. So i assume its the drive's carrier/caddy causing this?

Just a little worrying sometimes when you glance at a server and a 1 disk in an array is "reporting" constant activity... lol. Annoying that it's "crying wolf" so to speak.

Associate
I haven't experienced this exact scenario but on most systems now the light is on to show the drive is present and healthy, then it blinks with activity.
Not sure if the caddy would do that or the drive firmware would instruct the back plane to run the LED. Either way I'm pretty sure that's behaving as a status light not an activity light.

Back
Top Bottom