Failed assassination on Ahmed Dogan

Caporegime
Rubbish, it was probably all staged by the same guy he was to `assassinate` to gain political leverage :)

Wouldn't put past that area of the world frankly, it does seem stupid that you would bring a non-lethal weapon to try and kill a high-profile person with.

Caporegime
You'd get arrested for doing that to someone who tried to kill you in this country.

the person he tried to kill wasn't one of the people involved in kicking him afterwards

on a personal/emotional level - he quite frankly fully deserved the beating

though in a decent society you can't allow that sort of thing, he was already pinned down by a security guy, random middle aged men in suits coming along to stick the boot in isn't really on... especially the ones that didn't approach until after he'd been pinned to the floor.

Soldato
the person he tried to kill wasn't one of the people involved in kicking him afterwards

on a personal/emotional level - he quite frankly fully deserved the beating

though in a decent society you can't allow that sort of thing, he was already pinned down by a security guy, random middle aged men in suits coming along to stick the boot in isn't really on... especially the ones that didn't approach until after he'd been pinned to the floor.

I don't think the UK is beyond such behaviour although I doubt our politicians would do that.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23591313 said:
Whats the relevence of that unless you think laws should be created on the basis of kneejerk emotional reactions?

I think you'll find the law DOES make account for people's natural reactions when faced by a crime and any sensible judge will take it into account if it gets to court.

If it were the case that no amount of natural reaction was considered in law then the term self defense would exist at all, because even by defending yourself you would be committing common assault.

Another example, David Beckham got off a speeding charge because he said he thought he was being chased and he feared for his life.

The question is where that line is drawn, but to imply the law doesn't take account of "kneejerk emotional reactions" at all is plain false.

Caporegime
I think you'll find the law DOES make account for people's natural reactions when faced by a crime and any sensible judge will take it into account if it gets to court.

If it were the case that no amount of natural reaction was considered in law then the term self defense would exist at all, because even by defending yourself you would be committing common assault.

Another example, David Beckham got off a speeding charge because he said he thought he was being chased and he feared for his life.

The question is where that line is drawn, but to imply the law doesn't take account of "kneejerk emotional reactions" at all is plain false.

Dogan used self-defence, that is fine.

The rest were just revengeful, does revenge stand up in court?

Soldato
Dogan used self-defence, that is fine.

The rest were just revengeful, does revenge stand up in court?

Oh come off it, it was probably the most pathetic 'beating' I've ever seen. All that happened was a few over-weight, middle aged politicians jumped in with their powder-puff foot stomps and an old man hit him with an umbrella.

Maybe you think this old woman should be sent down for GBH....

Caporegime
Oh come off it, it was probably the most pathetic 'beating' I've ever seen. All that happened was a few over-weight, middle aged politicians jumped in with their powder-puff foot stomps and an old man hit him with an umbrella.

Maybe you think this old woman should be sent down for GBH....

Soldato
An old lady Vs. people who run a country and set an example not just within their nation but globally.

We were talking about the law on what is a reasonable action when faced with criminal aggression. The position in society is irrelevant.

And I wasn't comparing the two events, just following the logical conclusions of the arguments you've made so far.

What does this have to do with the actual thread? You like to slip in your anti-police nonsense whenever you can really.

I was responding to this post....

The police in a lot of countries, including the UK, give beat downs for a lot less.

So the idea I introduced the example out of nowhere like you imply is based on a false premise. Besides you are mis-representing my position based on the what i suspect is selective reading/memory of my posts. I am neither anti nor pro police, I have posted stuff both in support and against them in the past. I judge each situation on it's merits so again your insinuations are groundless.

Soldato
Lot's of things taken out of context. Posts were in reponse to the "Bulgarians are backwards" posts. "They can't remain calm when faced with an attempted assassination".

Back
Top Bottom